Happy New Years everyone! Here's my update on my 65 gal. progress...
-A few more pieces of the driftwood finally sunk. I put those in last night.
-At the same time, I planted the Hygrophilia clippings my brother made from the 55 gal. I started for him. (I'll get into what's happening in that tank after I get through my 65 gal. info)
-Last week, I added a school of 10 small Zebra Danios for some flash.
(Fauna totals: 6 Amano shrimp, 3 Sunset Platies, 2 Oto Cats, 10 Zebra Danios)
-I had to take out the small submersible filter I was hoping to use with CO2. Even after cleaning it out well, I wasn't getting any water movement. The sand killed it, R.I.P.
-Haven't hooked up the CO2 system yet. Waiting on another light strip. $ is tight right now, and the plants and fish seem to be doing fine, I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal.
-I took a couple pix of my tank, but can't attach them due to size limits. I'll try to figure out a way around this (but am totally open to suggestions. I hope the term COMPUTARDED doesn't offend anyone
On to the 55 gal. I started for my brother...
Substrate: Brown pool filter sand
Lights: 4 20W 24" strip lights (6500K)
Filtration: 2 Biowheel filters; 1 is a double, the other a single size.
Plant nutrients: TetraPlant Florapride
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
1 Pearl Gourami
3 Black Neon Tetras
4 Serpae Tetras
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 Pictus Cats
The point of this tank was an extremely easy to maintain community tank. My brother likes his privacy and follows my instructions on siphoning, water changes and filter cartridge changes. CO2 would mean I'd be hanging out more than he'd like, so I decided to start without and see how it went. The only plants I put in were Hygrophilia. The background of the tank is painted blue, and the tank (against my wishes, but I was overridden) is against a window in the front of his apt. I put 2 SAEs in to condition the water, and waited a couple weeks. At that time I purchased my 65 with the Angels, Tetras, and Pictus cats included (I love Craigslist) and put them all into his 55. They have flourished since. The SAEs keep the glass spotless, the Angels have grown large enough to be seperated, and the Tetras won't leave each others' sides. But the nicest touch was the Hygro growth. I started with 3 6" tall plants and they grew to cover
the tank top to bottom in about 3 weeks. Last night was the first time they were clipped. My brother is happy that he has plants and fish finally living (this 55 was a problem until I started doing my homework on this site) and he noted that he didn't want any other species of plants in there. This fits into my long-term plans as I would like to have several tanks in the basement growing individual plants for barter at LFSs and display in my 65. The Hygro tank is now set up, flourishing and is securely in the "If it ain't broke..." category. One unfortunate note on the Pictus cats was that one of them became so entangled in the net when he was netted out of the 65, I had no choice but to clip about half of one of his pectoral fins with pliers. His recovery was fine and "Clippy" bears his scar proudly.