Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the APC and excited to have found it! Originally from Texas, I have been away for school and work for years but am now back in Dallas.

I’m currently in the process of setting up my 75G glass aquarium with custom stand (welded steel and frosted glass) for the first time in 7 years. It was last a Tanganyikan tank but I am going all out plants with Tetras and other SA fish. It will be semi high-tech to start and I’ll see how that goes since I’m diving in with some moderately difficult plants (gloso, blyxa japonica, various ludwigia and hopefully some that I find here!)

Just got a super deal on a canister filter so will be selling my wet/dry soon!

I’ve had aquariums since I was 10 starting with 2 20L chrome frames on classic black steel double stand. I worked for a fish wholesaler and importer early in college in Flower Mound and later at two different independent fish/pet stores.

I’m a little worried about become multitank addicted again! At one point before going back to school I had 20 in a small fish room! They were mostly breeding tanks. Luckly I’m focused on just one for now and hoping to have stuff to trade and contribute!

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kim!

Be sure to come join us in the Dallas/Ft Worth Section and attend some meetings.

Glad to have you here!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to APC, Kim. You're amongst friends here. This is a great place for folks with this hobby.

With your artistic background, you'll be great with your aquascaping. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup grow.:cool:

BTW, I saw your drawings and paintings. They're amazing. VEry refreshing.

Again, welcome.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Oh-oh! A new planted tank "enthusiast" with what appears to be great tallent for the visual arts!

This is going to be an exciting journey for you Kim! There are many local people that have tanks that will blow you away. You are in the right place for developing a multi-tank syndrome. You will be one of many so no matter how bad it is it won't matter. It will be fun and you will meet many new people. The future looks bright! :D

You will find way too many free plants locally. Many rare species for sure. But you may want to take the long journey one step at a time.

Could you tell us more about the tank on the picture. It appears to have too little plants and too much light. Algae may have already moved in. Tell us more so we can gently direct you to developing a stunning planted tank. The first of many...

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Glad to meet you! Hope you join the DFWAPC. We meet 1 time each month. Niko is the president. Great people, great club.

I'm not sure if it's possible to avoid the multi-tank syndrome. Eventually it gets us all. I do think it's possible to limit the disease to livable levels. I guess we'll see how well you cope!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
:welcome:to APC! Great to have you aboard!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Welcome to APC and do join the DFWAPC when you get a chance. There are a lot of plants traded at those monthly meetings.

Check the DFWAPC local club here on APC as I got a few I am giving away from tonights trim of my 10 planted tanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you tell us more about the tank on the picture. It appears to have too little plants and too much light. Algae may have already moved in. Tell us more so we can gently direct you to developing a stunning planted tank. The first of many...

--Nikolay
Thanks for all the welcomes. Such great response! I will definately join DFWAPC and glad to know it is so active.

Regarding the tank in the picture...I jumped the gun posting that pic (it was just what I had handy!) It has glosso and I loaded it up with 35-40 stems of Ludwigia today.

"75" G tank info:
4 x 65w CF 6700k
Ecocomplete
substrate heat
CO2

I've been watching some forums for plants but they seem to go fast. LFS are limited as you know. I've been looking for some Blyxa Japonica, possibly dwarf hairgrass, and more glosso.

I'm looking forward to any advice you may have. I've been away from aquatic plants for 10 or so years and I was doing it pretty low tech at the time. I've done alot of reading over the past couple of years but we will see what happens in practice.

Good to know ya'll are out there to lend your knowledge!

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Hey Kim - post a new px of your tank with your new plant additions. Come to the Jan meeting and you will get a lot of plants free. There is always a lot traded! Even if you have nothing to trade back - it doesn't matter. Looking forward to meeting you! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome Kim. I'm here in Dallas too and although i stay very very quiet on APC (afraid if I get too friendly, i'll be poor-er...planted tanks are more addictive than any tank-even my betta bowls are planted) You are going to love it here! I'm on this site almost daily- can't get enough of it.

Can't wait to see how this tank progresses. It shows great potential.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts