Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts
Just to get this straight, I mix all the macro's into one bottle, and the trace seperate?

Also, do I dose both on the same day?

I had a 95 gallon tank, so unsure of the measurements

Correct, you want to keep the PO4 and Fe apart in separate bottles, but as far as I know to date, it is ok to dose them at the same time. Personally have not had a n issue doing so, it's the storage that is the main concern.

Great post. Right now I have a bunch of Seachem products that I have purchased. I am just starting to dose something besides Iron and trace elements in my tank. After reading this post I feel a lot more confident in maybe trying the dry fertilizers. Thank you, when I use up my Seachem products and order some dry fertilizer, I am sure I will have some questions.

Hey Roy,

Thanks for the idea. I'd still rather do 12 hours straight but if I get algae problems that would be a good workaround.

Thanks,

slevytam

PS. If anyone knows how to modify the PPS-Pro formula for a longer light period let me know

can someone tell me do I need magnesium sulfate > ?
*( I did not get it with my order)
and do I need the calcium ?
* again

I have epsom salt , I also have baking soda, how much do I mix to make each solution ? how do I know how much I need ? what is a small PPS version of these cheamicals in a mix, I am guessing I would just add the magnesium sulfate , is this the epsom salt ? , staright in my premixed bottle of macro ?
I am making a liter bottle of mix today , and I am hoping the grams are right. I am doing it with teaspoons, and I have my #'s laid out, hope there right , LOL ,
also do you use a dropper to get the 1Ml per 10 gallon in your tank ? I was trying to think of the best item to get to do this . any & all help would be appreciated, yes I have read EVERY sticky, article, and I dont need a link, I need answers. thanxs to anyone that will take the time to help me out . I have gotton some help, and I belive I have the most of it ready . would like to double ck my #'s .

can someone tell me do I need magnesium sulfate > ?

I have epsom salt ....
Epsom Salt is the correct form of magnesium sulfate used for PPS-Pro. Many people simply call Epsom Salt by the chemical name magnesium sulfate, but it is technically wrong.

Epsom Salt is really MgSO4∙7H2O and its correct name is Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate.

Magnesium Sulfate is MgSO4.

Hello,

I plan on using PPS-Pro with my new tank but am a little confused with the WPG and Photoperiod lenghts.

I used TheAquaTools.com to calculate how much light for my aquarium, it is 80x40x40cm (32x16x16 inch) and I have 120W of PCF. That is around 3.5WPG for a 16" deep tank. What photperiod should I use? or, how much WPG i need for a 10h photperiod?

I understand WPG for a tank are calculated according to its size and should be higher for smaller tanks according to the following graphic at TheAquaTools.com:

Thanks for your help, I am new with planted tanks.

Regards,

Sebastian

Hi Peter16,

I consider nitrogen, phosphorus, potash (potassium), and magnesium my "Macros". I add carbon either through CO2, Seachem Flourish Excel (or Glutaraldehyde), or both. Iron, Sulfur, calcium, manganese, etc. are "Trace" for me. We have soft water here in Seattle, so I add additional magnesium and calcium when my plants show signs of deficiency.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Potentially stupid question here....

You say the macro's consist of ;

But how come Calcium is not included in the pps-pro ingredients? Or am i missing something ?
Not stupid at all. Dependiong on the hardness of your water most places have sufficient calcium for most plants. My wate ris very soft, so I add crushed coral or crushed oyster shell to supplement.

Hope that helps.

Discussion starter · #73 ·
Epsom Salt is the correct form of magnesium sulfate used for PPS-Pro. Many people simply call Epsom Salt by the chemical name magnesium sulfate, but it is technically wrong.

Epsom Salt is really MgSO4∙7H2O and its correct name is Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate.

Magnesium Sulfate is MgSO4.
Yes, Epsom Salt is fine.

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain to me the need for it to sit overnight before using? I am a chemist, and that just does not make sense if you already mixed it accurately with distilled water. I just don't see the need for it to sit over night~in a chemical point of view.

However, it is very important to use dark bottles or left in places that have very little to no night to prevent such buildup of fungus .

First post here, and hopefully this hasn't been asked a million times. I am going to give PPS Pro a go because I'm too lazy to do 50% water changes every week, and I'm using RO/DI water, so Python or similar is not an option. I have a DIY dosing setup and want to know if I can mix macros and micros together IF I dose KH2PO4 seperately as needed.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! I had to read this thread several times before I managed to absorb all the great informataion.

You should not mix your macros and micros in the same bottle, but you can certainly dose them at the same time. I simply dump them into the spoon (or use the pipette, for smaller tanks) then rinse by swishing in the tank and dose the other a few inches away from the first.

I have only had precipitates form once, and that was when I dosed one and immediately spilled the other right on it. :D

Good luck using PPS Pro. I have used it since January and love it. I still do water changes because I have an overload of fish in my tank.

Thanks for the response fishstory. I thought I had read it was the PO4 that caused the precipitation by interacting with iron, and since I don't expect to have a large PO4 need, I could maybe dose it seperately, but mix the rest allowing me to autodose for a week or 2 at a time, just adding PO4 if/as needed.

Steve

Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to try dry ferts and thx all of you this is an excellant guide for us newbies to adding nutrients, thx again :D

I want to try dry ferts and would like to know if a Digital Scale 500g x 0.1g would be okay to do the measuring of dry fertilizers? This one here on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/yh89dx8 on eBay.

Thank you for your time and help,
Rayburn Taylor

Hi bookpage,

It looks like a good scale to me. I have a 500 gram X 0.1 and it works fine for me.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.