Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts
Hi this is my first post here, I have a Juwel rio 125 and I intend changing over to pps-pro system, I would just like to run a couple of pretty obvious questions past you guys to make sure I've got it right.
My tank has 2x28watt T5 lights, would you work out the photo period after deducting 10% or so for water displacement by substrate rocks etc, i.e that would give my tank a volume of 112.5 litres as opposed to 125 litres. Also I assume the dosage and lighting are for U.S. gallons. Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Hi rocorn,

Welcome to APC! We have several members from the UK here, hopefully they will step up and introduce themselves. If you get a chance, put a post in the "Introductions and Greets" sub-forum and tell us a little about where you are in the hobby.

As for your questions, yes we use U.S. gallons here compared to Imperial gallons in the UK. A 10% deduction on the volume of you tank sounds about right. I find my 30 gallon US aquarium has about 24 gallons of water and my 45 gallon has about 36 gallons.

Keep us posted on how things go; I am glad you joined us!

Thanks for the warm welcome, just another question that has come to mind, based on us gallons, my system has 1.89 wpg (56w/29.68galls) , but I have Juwel T5 "high light" tubes fitted with reflectors. Does anyone know whether these are rated the same as standard T8 tubes i.e would I still class my lighting as around 2wpg, and have a 12 hour photo period.

Thanks

Hi rocorn,

I have PC (basically T5) at about 2 WPG with MIRO 4 reflectors and I consider it "medium" light. My photoperiod is about 6 hours.

Hi all,

I just got the dry ferts from a hydroponic store today and I'm going to give the PPS-PRO a try. I have a 120 gallons and the 50% water change is just to much when you don't have a python.

The guy in the store told me that I shouldn't mix the KNO3 with the rest of the macros. He said that it will react with the rest of the macros and it will settle down in the bottom of the bottle. He suggested to dose the KNO3 separated to make full use of it.

Anyone has hear about this before?
I guess I can mix the KNO3 in a separated 1 lt bottle of water and dose 1ml/gal of that bottle too.

I am planning to convert my low tech tank into a, well somewhat high tech tank with Glossostigma and a few other high light plants. I have used EI system for a few months and got very good results with it. But because of my busy schedule, doing weekly water changes was very hard. So converted the tank to a low tech without dosing. So my questions are -

1. I am using a substrate like ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II that leaches N and P into the water. In this case, should I dose the same amount of fertilizers recommended by PPS-Pro?

2. Glossostigma needs high lighting. So if I go for 110W of PLL lighting over my 28 gallon (~4 WPG), do I still keep the CO2 at 1 BPS? If no, how should I determine the right amount?

3. Do I need to refrigerate the Micro nutrient mix?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Old but great thread. I was just wondering...I just mixed up a batch of PPS-Pro minus the mag. which I'll grab tomorrow. I was wondering about iron. Should it be added? If so, how much and in the macro or micro bottle?

Well...got the mag. and added that. Also went ahead and threw in 6g of 11% Iron to my micros. Figured it wasn't much but a little shouldn't hurt. I doubt I am getting enough if any from other sources so the little I added should help some. Guess time will tell. Did my first dose today. Will dose once a week until I get my tank setup high tech.

Quick question...I just realized I added the mag to my micros instead of macros. Is this a problem?

Yeah...they are separate except the mistake of mixing the Epson Salts with my micro. I guess I can just make a fresh batch of micro, add the mag. to the macro mix like it should be, and dose iron separate.

Hmm... I'm not an expert but I have a question in regards to the automated PPS-Pro using medical IV pump mentioned earlier. For someone who's on a budget, I was just wondering if using a microdrip IV administration set (60 gtt/mL) would work instead of using a pump? I'm not sure if it's possible with this type of tubing to have 35 gtt/hr (based on 14ml/day of solution).

Here's my rough calculation: the tube is 60 drops per 1 mL needing to administer 14 mL/day.

(60gtt/mL) x (14mL) = 840 drops per day

(840gtt/day) / (24hrs) = 35 gtt/hr

(35gtt/hr) / (60 mins) = 0.58 drop/min

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you can possibly set 0.6 drop/min in reality with microdrip IV tubing without the use of an IV pump.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.