Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been keepin' fishes for a couple years but never have I had a planted tank. I've been lurking around here for a while and some other forums and I feel it's the time to just give it a go. I bought an 18 gallon TALL a few weeks ago along with all my equipment and set everything up. It's been running for about 2 weeks with nothing in there but:

Schultz Aquatic Soil (3 inches)
2x36W 6,500K Light Fixture from DrsFosterSmith.com (4WPG)
Hagen CO2 System (not setup yet because I don't have any plants!)
Hagen AquaClear 200
Ebo-Jager 150W Heater
1 Malaysian Driftwood (HUGE)

It's not the best equipment in the world but hey, I'm a student and I have books to buy soon! :evil: Anyway, I tested my water from both the empty tank and my tap and I'm getting very weird readings. Here they are:

TESTS FROM THE EMPTY TANK ONLY W/ DRIFTWOOD:
pH: 7.6
KH: 3dKH
Phosphate: 8.0ppm
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: irrelevent for now

TESTS FROM MY TAP:
pH: 8.0
KH: 12dKH
Phosphate: 1.0ppm
GH 11dGH

These are all brand new test kits so I don't know why the readings are inconsistent. Or maybe I just don't know WTH I'm doing.. I hated Chemistry in high school! Can you guys clue me in? It's safe to use the Hagen CO2 right? And another thing.. I bought Seachem Flourish and Excel, is this all I'll need? There's so many different kinds of ferts out there, what's the EASIEST way to fert my tank? I saw some people recommending gregwatson.com or something but I'm not sure.. :?:

Here's a pic of my tank: How would you guys aquascape this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have the following plants in my other tanks that I might be moving into this one:

Java Fern
Java Moss
Anacharis
Hornwort

The plants I plan on getting are:

Didiplis Diandra "Blood Stargrass"
Parrot's Feather
Rotala Indica
Wisteria
Dwarf Sag
Duckweed

How's that?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention I have some Frogbit but I want something that grows faster and from what I've read Duckweed fits the bill. I can put it in one of my low-light tanks and see how it does and if it grows too fast I won't put it in this tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.