Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a planted 20 gallon tank planted tank and I am wondering if the equipment I have is going to be enough to much etc. I have done some research but I keep finding conflicting information so I thought I would just break down and ask.

Eheim Ecco: Is this going to be enough for a 20 gallon planted tank? They are rated up to 30 but I have never had a planted tank. I do not plan on putting more than 5 to 8 fish in this tank with a few shrimp.

Lighting: 65w 6500k bulb is what I plan on using. Sounds like 3.25 wpg should be good. I also have a 10,000k 50/50 bulb but it sounds like that is more of a reef bulb.

Heating: For this size tank is inline kind of over kill? Am I better off with just an in tank heater?

UV: I have a UV powerhead but now I am wondering if it is a waste. I keep hearing different things about them between being great, or not useful or even killing off good things along with the bad etc.

CO2: I have a little Hydor system. It was recommended to me in a store that since these types do not shut off that I should run a bubble stone at night to keep the CO2 levels with in reason for the fish and inverts.

Ferts: Is regular flourish doses going to be enough with this lighting and CO2? At first I only plan on baby tears, dwarf hair grass, and maybe some crispus to kind of help cover up the pipes and heater etc.

Thank you for any help and input you can offer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is Tobias your actual name or are you an Arrested Development fan?
Anyways, I'm not terribly experienced but I would think that an inline would be better simply because it's a smaller tank. I have a 20 gal high and space is a premium so I just got an eheim and I'm making a DIY inline heater to get all the "junk" out of the tank. Also, I think your eheim size is about right. I installed my 2213 last night and it seems pretty strong for a 20.

Scouter

·
Registered
697 Posts
the ecco will be fine for your tank, but as long as when it's fully planted, that you won't have any dead spots. so you may want to consider some powerheads in the future

i would ditch or trade the 50/50 bulb as the actinic portion is not suitable for plant tanks.

the inline is definitely not overkill. as scouter mentioned, it would reduce the amount of stuff in your tank

there are pro's and con's with UV sterilizers as you've listed, however there are more people who praise them than not.

the problem with the hydor co2 system is the size of the co2 cartridge. depending on how much you end up injecting into your tank, the cartridge may not last too long. you might find yourself buying new cartridges every month. however it is a more consistent co2 supply than DIY. i would suggest going for a proper co2 system with two stage regulator, needle valve, and 5lb co2 tank. along with all the other accessories of course. this would provide a longer source of co2.

flourish comprehensive (not the flourish trace) just provides the micro nutrients to your pants. you still need to provide the macro nutrients. i would suggest looking in the Fertilizing forum and read up on the PPS-Pro fertilizing method. it's a simple system to figure out and to apply.

good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is Tobias your actual name or are you an Arrested Development fan?
Anyways, I'm not terribly experienced but I would think that an inline would be better simply because it's a smaller tank. I have a 20 gal high and space is a premium so I just got an eheim and I'm making a DIY inline heater to get all the "junk" out of the tank. Also, I think your eheim size is about right. I installed my 2213 last night and it seems pretty strong for a 20.

Scouter
Tobias is my real name. :D Thanks for the input on the inline heater. I was leaning towards it but I was not sure if that was the right way to go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ecco will be fine for your tank, but as long as when it's fully planted, that you won't have any dead spots. so you may want to consider some powerheads in the future

i would ditch or trade the 50/50 bulb as the actinic portion is not suitable for plant tanks.

the inline is definitely not overkill. as scouter mentioned, it would reduce the amount of stuff in your tank

there are pro's and con's with UV sterilizers as you've listed, however there are more people who praise them than not.

the problem with the hydor co2 system is the size of the co2 cartridge. depending on how much you end up injecting into your tank, the cartridge may not last too long. you might find yourself buying new cartridges every month. however it is a more consistent co2 supply than DIY. i would suggest going for a proper co2 system with two stage regulator, needle valve, and 5lb co2 tank. along with all the other accessories of course. this would provide a longer source of co2.

flourish comprehensive (not the flourish trace) just provides the micro nutrients to your pants. you still need to provide the macro nutrients. i would suggest looking in the Fertilizing forum and read up on the PPS-Pro fertilizing method. it's a simple system to figure out and to apply.

good luck!
Thanks. I was told in a store the regular flourish was all I needed but the salesperson did not seem very sure and from what I had read up on it did not seem right. I am planning on getting a better CO2 system, I am using the hydor as a stepping stone and then plan on moving it to a 5 gallon tank for my sons beta that has a few plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts