Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and new to planted tanks and I have a few questions which may turn in to more. I am currently attempting to set up a "low tech" planted aquarium. I have a 39g high, 3 - 20 watt fluorescent, hob filtration, under gravel filter, turface mixed with normal gravel for substrate and I will not be using co2. I think picking my plants will be pretty easy due to some research. The only plant I am not sure about is something I can use for a carpet/ground cover plant. I thought I was set on Riccia Fluitans but now I am unsure. I am looking for something that is kinda low maintenance and requires minimum trimming. Pictures would be great and any suggestions on my setup would be appreciated as well. The only thing different I have in mind that I may do is add another 20 watt fluorescent so I can have 2wpg. Also, I have only came across this once but would like some opinions. Is it not good or recommended to have an under gravel filter in a planted tank? Any suggestions on places to order plants online would be great too considering that I can not find any lfs that carries many plants locally.
Thanks and please let me know if there is anymore information you all may need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off all were do you come from? I know I suck when it comes to aquatics terms in english/american. g high? hob?

If you want a carpetplant thats low, HC is not recommended and not Pogostemon helferi they wont work with lowlight. Been there done that...
I am located in Louisiana in the US. 39 gallon high,so the g is for gallon and I say high because of it's configuration, the height is alot greater than the depth or width. hob = Hang on back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help I think I will be able to make a decision with the information given to me. I know this may be a stupid question but bare with since I am so new at this. Is co2 only required once you have so much light or would it be a plus on even a low tech 1.5wpg tank? Also, what is all involved with the co2? I may be making it more than what it is and make why I am not wanting to do it. thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.