Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Most people do not use an undergravel filter with a planted tank. There are a few who do with success but it's not commonly done.

A good foreground plant for lower light is one of the Marsilea sp (Marsilea quadrifolia can be a bit tall, M minuta will do well in lower light and stay shorter and there is also M hirsuta). I also like using Anubias nana petite as a foreground accent. Scroll down in this post to see a tank with both Anubias nana petite and Marsilea minuta. You could also use Subwassertang or moss attached to mesh or rocks. The only problem I've had with Subwassertang so far is that the pond snails in one tank are eating it. It's growing very well in another tank and has a very interesting appearance. Flame moss is also a neat foreground as it grows upward. To trim it I take the mesh out of the tank and put it in a bucket of aquarium water so I don't get the moss bits all over the tank.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.