·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I set this tank up 2 weeks ago.
1 inch organic potting soil after mineralization
1 inch sand substrate
Its a window side tank
The plants are showing little melt but i think thats because of changed environment or is there any other reason?
Till now there is no use filter, CO2 , ferts.
Is there anything I should be doing more in this tank? Should I attach a low power filter?
And this is my first post here so kindly guide me through this...

A

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
Welcome to APC!

For a two week old tank it looks good. The only thing I would suggest is that you gently poke the substrate with a chopstick or similar to release any trapped CO2 bubbles. If you get lots of bubbles, poke more frequently. If the bubbles smell really bad, there may be a problem. But for now,k just enjoy your tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Tanks looks nice. At two weeks, you should be seeing plant growth. Make sure that you have enough calcium in the water. The Echinodorus will disintegrate if there is not enough. GH should be above 2. For swordplants, the higher the better. Also, make sure that the hardware is not sitting directly on top of the soil-containing substrate. (You don't want to smother the soil bacteria.) Best if hardware is either resting on glass bottom or it is sitting on top of something inert (e.g., rock, brick, etc). Like the plants, like the decor... Hope those plants take off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tanks looks nice. At two weeks, you should be seeing plant growth. Make sure that you have enough calcium in the water. The Echinodorus will disintegrate if there is not enough. GH should be above 2. For swordplants, the higher the better. Also, make sure that the hardware is not sitting directly on top of the soil-containing substrate. (You don't want to smother the soil bacteria.) Best if hardware is either resting on glass bottom or it is sitting on top of something inert (e.g., rock, brick, etc). Like the plants, like the decor... Hope those plants take off.
Thank you so much for the reply! One more thing I need to ask was that is Echinodorus a right plant for Walstad? Because I am seeing some melt in them ...And can you suggest some other plants which are suitable for this tank?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to APC!

For a two week old tank it looks good. The only thing I would suggest is that you gently poke the substrate with a chopstick or similar to release any trapped CO2 bubbles. If you get lots of bubbles, poke more frequently. If the bubbles smell really bad, there may be a problem. But for now,k just enjoy your tank.
thank you for the reply ...Ill definitely look into it.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Of course, you don't have to add Echinodorus to make it an NPT, but since you have a couple nice Echinodorus plants, I expect that you would want them to do well. Echinodorus are very sensitive to low water calcium. Almost all plants do better in hardwater, but Echinodorus can actually disintegrate in softwater. Some species die without calcium in the water (my book, page 114). Thus, I suggest you make sure that your water has adequate water hardness, a reflection of calcium in the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts