Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured it was about time to start posting some pics of my 75 gallon. It is about 1.5 years old, and has gone through a ton of changes. I just finished rescaping, so nothing has really grown in yet, but more pictures will come as the tank matures.

Tank Specs
2 x 130 Watt Coralife CFs
Rena XP1
Rena XP3
9W UV Sterilizer on XP1 outlet
CO2 reactor on XP3 outlet
Red Sea Paintball CO2 system (works well, considering I had about 6 paintball canisters already and I did not feel like spending the money on a new tank)
300W heater
Dry Ferts
10 mL excel daily
UPS for all electronics

Flora
Ludwigia repens
Pogostemon erectum
Hygrophila balsamica
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne (not sure what type, in the front left and right)
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Rotala sp. 'Colorata'
Alternanthera
Ret Lotus
The twisty green plants and the straight ones on the right side i don't know what they are

Fauna
Angels 6
Gold Barbs 5
Australian Rainbows 5
Red Platys 2
Corys 8
Black Kuhlis 4
Clown Pleco 1
Bushynose Pleco 1
Amano Shrimp
MTS and Pond Snails

Any suggestions welcome!

Also, I know the right side sucks so plant suggestions, etc. for over there would be appreciated greatly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Didn't have a chance to discuss much about how I got into planted tanks in the first place yesterday, but since I'm just sitting around doing nothing today (besides fooling around with my tanks that is) here goes nothing.....

I'm a 23 year old college student studying chemical engineering.
About a year and a half ago I decided that I wanted get a decent sized aquarium. I had a ten gallon when I was younger and really enjoyed it. I started out getting Jack Dempseys, who spawned within a month of getting them. While that was a pretty cool experience, about that time I met someone on this forum, rjfurbank. We soon found out that we both enjoyed aquariums and so I checked out his planted tank....and abruptly got hooked. Soon after I got rid of the Jack Dempseys, removed all the gravel and got eco-complete and went on my way. I think I was a bit overzealous at getting to the point of having my tank look like the ones on this forum, because I didn't plan things out with this tank as well as I could have; hardscape, filtration, CO2 injection, substrate, etc., were all add ons once the tank was up and running already. So needless to say, I am looking forward to the time when I set-up another tank from the beginning. Studying engineering, I love all the DIY projects on this site and learning how people put together such beautiful tanks. This hobby has really helped change my life in more ways than I care to express here, and I am very thankful to all of the faithful members that make this forum possible.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Looking good. . .

I may have something for that empty right side for you. Am thiniking about downsizing one of my Blyxa aubertii's. Let me know if you want it.

-Roy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I reorganized my pictures in photobucket and now they aren't showing up....:confused:
Regardless, I added some plants so here's some new pictures.
I added...
Elatine americana
Crypt Parva
Dwart Hairgrass
Blyxa Aubertii
Fissidens Moss

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Looks good - plants are growing out well :)

The twisty plants look like Echinodorus sp. 'Vesuvius' from the pictures......

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay so as the angels and rainbows kept growing, the tank just kept looking more and more crowded, so they got donated to a LFS who has adoption tanks. Sad, yes :(, but necessary. Will be added some new plants within a day or so, new pics then.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this weekend I did a bit of work on the tank. I added jungle vals, water sprite, more hair grass from my 10 gallon (it was dying without CO2), another anubias minima, and another blyxa auberta. I also reworked the right side of the tank a bit by extending the blyxa japonica across the tank. I also was not liking the look of the substrate so I added a bag of Eco-Complete to cap off the substrate to be solid black. Later I got a bit bored after doing my mass transfer homework, so I fooled around with my camera. I'm still a noob, but the shots came out okay. Enjoy!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stocking is now scissortail rasboras and cardinal tetras, pics next week

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
Moved blyxa auberta and red lotus to front right
Removed althernanthera
Added camboda caroliniana to back right, intertwining with jungle vals
Added Hygrophila corymbosa "kompact" to front right side
Created open area in back middle with blyxa auberta path

Straight on....

Top down....

Fissidens moss creeping....

Hygrophila corymbosa "kompact"

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Looking good!

Your driftwood reminds me of the mountain everyone was creating in the movie Close Encounters--very cool!:)

Like the open space--let's see how it fills in. What happened to the alternanthera?

-Roy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I moved the alternanthera to my terrarium....I've had a bunch in there for about 3 weeks and its doing alright actually. It's growing much slower than it was in the 75 gallon (it grew pretty slow in there too).

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
it's filling in nicely!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts