Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd create a thread to track my progress and the changes in my tank. Don't expect anyone will be terribly interested, but I would appreciate any and all input :). I am especially untalented/unexperienced in aquascaping, so I hope for anyones input there :).

This tank is a 29g with 3x honey gourami, 3x boesemani rainbowfish, 4x otos, and 1x male betta (who may move soon). I have a regular hob filter, heater, powerhead, 130W cfl lighting, bubblewand (which has gone awol as seen below) w/ a repurposed airpump, and (new) DIY CO2.

I have been battling some algae (as seen below). It appears the tide has begun to turn in my favor in the eternal battle against the eeeevil algae, although the war has not yet been won. Both my honey gourami and my new 4 otos seem to be attacking the algae pretty well :). I finally got DIY CO2 at like 6+ bps, if i am counting correctly. And I have my new 130W lights on 4h, off 2h, on 4h each day. Don't know if i should put in Flourish excel or not. New plants and a new rock too! :)

Now my plants are bubbling....theres these little bubbles rising to the surface from their leaves. Never seen them do that before? I'm just hoping its not the algae pearling or something, as would be my luck :p. Is it pearling or something else I wonder.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hi Nick,

It looks like a good start, can't wait to see what it looks like when it fills in. To slow down algae in a new setup, I add some fast growing plants like hygrophila, hornwort, or watersprite to help use up the excess ammonia during the nitrogen cycle. They will out compete the algae for nutrients and help slow the growth of algae.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankfully I haven't had any ammonia readings in a month or two now, but they should be eating up the nitrates which i just tested between 5.0 and 10.0. Its really not easy to get plants here :(. My National chain FS here primarily carries stuff that shouldn't be submerged, whereas my locally owned FS here doesn't carry very much atm. They only get sporatic shipments, but do have a nice big tank for them. So i don't really get my choice of plants :(. But i go at least every Sunday to check up on stuff. I will look those plants up though, hoping they come soon. I think I want hairgrass, whatever crazy latin name that thing has, depending on how high it gets. That should be a pretty good competer right?

Nick

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hi Nick,

Keep an eye on the "For Sale or Trade" forum, sometimes there is even a RAOK (random act of kindness) where all you pay is the shipping costs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*watches the For Sale or Trade forum like a hawk*

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I agree with Seattle. You really need to get some fast growers in there. With your light the and a new tank you really should plant heavy. Later you can sell your plants in the for sale forum and buy ones that you want. It's win/win. Shipping is usually only $5 or $6.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oi...well here's hoping they have a plant shipment by tomorrow, when i go get my Amanos.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the silly LFS didn't get their fish today :(. So no Amanos today. But I did get hygrophilia (wisteria?), rearranged my tank...again...but now I'm happy with the layout...until i find something else to nitpick...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
hey taz!

congrats on the tank i hope ur enjoying the hobby as much as everyone on here does. the hairgrass is a fast grower if u have a good amount of light (which u have) and a good amount of CO2(???) i love that stuff and want to get some for my tank and might go get some tomorrow. anywho....one favorite plant of mine is the hydros!!! fast growers and different colors and leaf shapes are great choices. the hornworts are great two and will really help u out with nutrient sucking! i use it in my breeding tanks. get some java moss and attach those java ferns to a rock or driftwood and ur getting good!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I get really excited to go to the Fish store and find something new to learn (and maybe buy)! Not sure if thats indicative of a love of the hobby, shopping, or both. Myeh. Either way I'm having fun :).

Eh who knows about the CO2, got DIY and Excel. I need a drop checker, but that will take time. What are the hydros? How low does java moss grow, wonder if it will grow on rocks...

Thanks for your time! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still no drop checker :p. I was going to get one through ADA since I want to purchase Aqua Soil, but its like $45 through them...so uhh no. On the subject of Aqua Soil, I want to add it (with Power Sand Special), replacing my current crappy substrate. I'm worried about my fish though :(. I don't know if Prime will take care of the rise in ammonia common with Aqua Soil. And now I have an itch....and urge....nay a neeeeeeed to get another tank for cardinal tetras and RCSs. Ahh the options are killing me!

At any rate i moved stoof around, added new stoof. I think i sexed my some of my fish. 2 male & 1 female honey gourami, same for my rainbowfish. Haven't tried with the otos yet, they seem more difficult. I don't care really except that its interesting...:\ lol :).

Front:

Top:

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I had to remove my fish for about 4 weeks when I changed out my substrate. Then I stuffed my tank with plants. I changed water every other day treating new water with Prime. On off days I dosed the Prime again. It took 4 weeks. I kept my fish in a rubbermaid container with a heater, HOB filter and low light plants, anubias, etc. I put some plastic plants that I keep around for fish transport in with them too. They all did quite well in there. I changed some of that water everyday as I had 125g of fish in 35g of water.

You could use quite a few plants in your tank right now. Why not check out the For Sale forum? There are some good deals on plant packages right now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once the bursar gives me my money...i have a lot of plans for it lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update. Well I purchased some ferts from Rex, and I think I understand the dosing schedule thanks to the fert forum readings. I also just purchased ADA Aquasoil, and hope to get it in the mail in a week or two or whenever ADG decides to send it.

I have also purchased a 18g storage tub from Lowes to hold my fish while my tank adjusts to the Aqua Soil. The betta will go in my little 1 or 2g tank. Don't know whether i should put my otos with my betta or in the 18g tub.

I'm also looking to get a nice centerpiece of manzanita wood from a nice fellow on the for sale forum.

The temp here is substantial enough to not require a heater. As for a HOB filter i'm not sure whether to use it on the regular tank to help reduce ammonia from the Aqua Soil, or if I should use it on my 18g tank.

I use prime, but it doesn't seem to make sense to use prime in the main tank until I bring my fish back, and only use it on my temporary tanks as they'll be higher level ammonia due to the drop in gallonage. From my understanding Prime doesn't actually remove ammonia, but only renders it harmless to fish. Or will it render it useless to algae as well? Ahhh so many questions and so much time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah I got power sand special with my Aqua Soil. I shouldn't be allowed to read company's thoughts on their own products lol

·
Registered
384 Posts
hey, i have a 29 gallon and i am also converting it to a planted tank. instead of java moss i would buy christmas moss. i bought mine on ebay for 2 bucks for 2x2 in. took 5 days to get here but its free shipp and the moss is growing good under 65w. also to ur question, java moss will grow on rocks just need to tie it down with cotton thread or fishing line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xmas-Moss-Aquat...in_0?hash=item4147d4d9cd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well hopefully I will be getting both kinds of moss soon. at any rate I GOT Amazonia AS today! WOOHOO! Also I added more plants! Woot woot....once everything gets settled imma have new pics...horray! Hopefully i won't need that stone for cover for too much longer. I like the shape, but i hate the color :( Looks so artificial. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that took a while....6 hours+? Lol Well the lovely people at ADG sent me 2 (3l) bags of Amazonia II and one (9l) bag of Amazonia I. Sadly I didn't realize till i put them in my tank :(. Oh well, at least the people at ADG offered to send me new bags of Amazonia I, granted I didn't take them up on the offer as I really don't need anymore soil, but they did reasure me on the combined use of them. Anyways while it is cloudy i can see through it to the back so I guess it could be a lot worse. I tested the ammonia and its 1-2 ppm. Since I just ordered manzanita and more plants I don't have any hardware in there (stones/wood). and now i see just how much room i have for more plants OI! I hope that the guy on the for sale forum sends me my moss soon! *crosses fingers*.

Right now I have my HOB filter on my tank, and not with my fish in the tub. I'm hoping to use Prime and daily water changes to counter the ammonia.

I also bleached (5% solution) my worst algae affected plants (the one that was on the wood & the onion like plants), and I hope it killed the algae good. I also used it on my stone (although i don't plan to put it back in there), my little piece of wood, and my heater

Although i put the CO2 in the filter's intake prior to the AS, i now put it back in the power head as it seems to distribute bubbles everywhere with itty bitty bubbles, so I'm thinking its doing a better job.

What else...I'll upload pictures soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
updated pics 24 hrs after as added. Most of the hazziness is due to the DIY CO2 injecting into the input of my powerhead. It seems to do a good job of throwing the itty bitty bubbles every which way.

My tank shot 1:

Tank shot 2:

My cat, Chirpy, watching the yummy betta in his temp tank while warming his butt with my laptop and google searching...he's a multitasker...:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow! What an improvement. I like your plant selection and placement. Are you going for a dutch style or will you be adding a hardscape? This will be great to see once it fills in. You might consider moving your co2 back to the filter intake. As long as you have an area where co2 is dissolving and good flow from that area to the rest of the tank, you have enough co2 in your tank. You don't 'have' to switch it back because the powerhead is distributing the co2, but eventually you will get sick of tiny little bubbles everywhere in your tank.

I noticed you were looking at the ada drop checkers. You can buy really cheap ones on ebay and various websites online. You can also buy glass diffusers for really cheap too. (I bought my glass diffuser for 5 dollars including shipping!

-Danny

1 - 20 of 49 Posts