Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D

Hi,

I have two JBL CO2 supplies/reactors in a tank (5ftx2ftx2ft). Unfortunately I cannot spend out this month on two JBL solenoid switches which could be timer controlled to shut-off the CO2 during the night and then switch-on the CO2 a hour before the lights come on.

Instead, I have an air pump with two outlets on a timer, this switches on at intervals during the night to help break the surface tension and allow Oxygen exchange at the surface; but is this enough?

Has anyone else dealt with this problem in a similar or totally different way?

Keith

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I've never encountered this situation though I imagine someone has. If it were me, I would run the airstone all night and have it kick off maybe an hour before your lights go on. I would think this would be enough to keep the levels low enough for the fauna. Then again, I've never ran two CO2 sources on a tank before ;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
IME there have been no problems with running the CO2 24/7. I have a solenoid but I don't use it. The fish are all very happy and I am running at 30ppm all the time. My amanos and ghost shrimp are breeding and so are my platies. As long as you have a drop checker and make sure that there is some surface disturbance I think you will be fine without the solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Using what you already have I would just run the airstones at night, all night long, then shut them off an hour before the lights come back on. That should lower the concentration of CO2 in the water at night, and the surface disturbance will improve the oxygen concentration in the water at the same time. You will be "wasting" CO2, but that should be the only downside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts