Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Nitrate Climb with PPS Pro?

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Jeffww 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems as though my nitrates just keep climbing higher and higher using pps pro. After water changes its a good 10ppm but by the end of the week I'm hitting 20-40 nitrates. I wouldn't be so worried if it weren't for my shrimp in the tank.

Here are the specs:
Flora: DHG (nothing else)
Fauna: 2 wcmm, 4 neons, ~11 rcs , 5 otocinclus
Filtration: Fluval 305
Lighting: 2x24w T5HO 7 hour photoperiod. Elevated 6" above the water's surface. According to the PAR charts on another forum I'm way above the recommended PAR levels for "high light".
Tank: 30"x12"x13" 20 gallon long
CO2: DiY/excel supplementation

I understand my plant's needs probably aren't the highest but it seems a tad ridiculous that my nitrates are shooting up so high. I did have a mini cycle recently where my ammonia reached ~.5ppm when I added the otos but since then the levels have been:

.5-1ppm Phosphates
0 Ammonia
10-40 nitrates ( I have a really hard time deciphering colors orange looks like red to me 50% of the time)

I've been dosing as per the directions of 1ml of each solution per 10 gallons of water. I'm using a graduated pipette I "borrowed" from the school lab to dose.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.