Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I should make this a new thread here. What about the purple bamboo? I have heard it is not aquatic either, but that there may be a purple cultivar of a related plant that is aquatic, so there could be two plants, one aquatic, one not, going by the same common name.

And Arthraxon.... Does it have aquatic species or are they all annual terrestrial grasses classified as invasive weeds in some states?

My son when he was little put some aquatic liverworts that would only grow underwater onto the damp stone steps leading into the celler of his aunt's century home. Some of it survived, then thrived, but if you try to reverse the process, it no longer survives back underwater. The original stream it was from has been silted now while a huge old folks complex is being built adjacent to the aunt's house. The liverwort and sticklebacks had just bounced back from runnoff from a former goose and duck pen straddling their stream and now they may not make it. Most of the stream has been shunted underground into sewer pipes, and it is hard to say what will happen to the stream across the old folks complex covering several acres. It may disappear before it gets back to its old stream bed.

And years ago I bought a small Acorus calamus that had been growing in an aquarium, narrow leaves only five or six inches tall. When I put some out in a pond, it spread, grew up out of the pond and in some spots with lots of wet leaf litter, gets as tall as me and I'm 6' 2". How do you put that genie back in the tank?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess of the 4 plants mentioned, one does not have an ID other than aquatic liverwort, about all you can do, but the others have ID's either trade/common names or scientific, and the questions are not to ID them, but about the sometimes not so fine line between terrestrial and aquatic plants. However I'd be interested in any experiences and discussions about these plants if you have grown them and tried to switch any of them from aquarium to terrarium or vice versa.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts