Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
Not all plants in the Red section are true red plants. I am no expert but for example;

Didiplis diandra
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia repens
Rotala rotundifolia

These usually turn red only when stressed by light overexposure, lack of NO3, toxic traces etc. Is it correct for such plants to be in the same category with the real reds?
Well, first let me say that not everything in that category has to be literally red, which I think takes care of the Rotala.

L. arcuata is definitely red, and you don't have to go to extreme measures to make it that way. L. repens is a red plant even in many low tech tanks. In fact, the native Ludwigias are more often not red when found growing submerged. In fact, L. palustris is sometimes not only red in very strong light, but also has very narrow leaves like L. arcuata! I wouldn't say plants like that are necessarily stressed, just responding to conditions. I gather from some of your postings that you're rather conservative in dosing and so on, and that's fine. It's just that the strong light and fertilizing many of us utilize isn't so excessive to most.

The only one I sort of agree with you on is the Didiplis. Under most conditions, only the tips are red; it's not naturally solid orange. I'll change that.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I gather from some of your postings that you're rather conservative in dosing and so on, and that's fine. It's just that the strong light and fertilizing many of us utilize isn't so excessive to most.

Hi Cavan

In fact, PPS-Pro dosing is not as lean as some reckless EI spoon users claim it to be. It is just better balanced fertilizer as far as plant uptake goes and in such conditions plants grow more green then red. But then when I start dosing just 1/10 th of the regular dose then plants turn red, even Echinodorus tenellus does. . It's an interesting world.

Thanks Cavan

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
Edward,

Thank you for your input.

Cavan

P.S. The nature and intent of your post aren't clear to me, but in case you were wondering, I'm not a "reckless EI spoon user".

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not say you are nor intended to. In my opinion you are one of the best experts in aquatic plants I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts