Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hola peeps, I'm still around =)
I was wondering about snails for the planted aquarium, ramshorn's in particular. Are there 2 different types? I've seen some that are huge and some that are small. I'd prefer ones that stay relatively small (an inch or under). Any help is appreciated!

Example: Looking at this auction right now..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66788&item=4350706957&rd=1

PS. If you have any of the small variety and want to get rid of some, PM me!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
The Ramshorn snail is small, then the larger one is a pond snail that has a shape similar to the Ramshorn.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I have heard that there is an actual Columbian Ramshorn which gets very large. I had some of these, and all I can say is that they have to have been the worst plant eaters I've ever had - they even ate more plants than my Silver Dollars do....:shock:

I have some of the smaller Ramshorns, but I think it might be a little too cool to ship them from here at the moment. If you still need some when it warms up, give me a yell. I don't want any of them (they eat Cory eggs), but you know how they can reproduce....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone know anything about Neritina reclivata, the Olive Nerite snail?
http://www.azgardens.com/snails.php
and if i remember correctly, azgardens has a bit of a bad rep doesn't it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The ones in the auction link are the "good" ones. I think they are Planorbis corneus or Helisoma trivolvis or something of the sort. Some people breed "red" ramshorns - these are the same species but a recessive gene makes them appear very much red - I believe it's similar to albinism. Every once in a while, however, the population needs to be outcrossed or the progressively newer generations get weaker and weaker until they die off. I like the brown ones, anyway.

The Colombian ramshorn that Jan mentioned is Marisa cornuarietis, and will absolutely wreak havoc in a planted tank. They get really big, too. They're related to the apple snail.

I once bought a Neritina reclivata (olive nerite) and it died almost as soon as I placed it in my tank. They're actually brackish water snails and probably won't do so well unless there's significant hardness to the water. Recently, what became available at my LFS is another nerite snail, but it has a very interesting pattern on the shell. They call it something like "tiger" or "zebra" nerite (I forget which). They're beautiful, and like the olive nerite, can do wonders for a tank with serious algae problems, but I never bought one for fear that it would meet the same fate as my first nerite. I've also heard of people complaining about how these snails lay these egg capsules all over the tank. But they don't hatch, unless they're in brackish water.

Here's a pretty good site:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/invert.htm

Oh, BTW, if you have trouble keeping the ramshorns' shells looking nice and shiny, give them Hikari Tropical Crab Cuisine. They're pellets that I originally bought for my shrimp, but it turned out to be very beneficial for the snails, too. Must be the calcium iodate...

Enjoy them gastropods!

-Naomi ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.