Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am pointing my fingers at my SAE's for I believe they have been the ones picking or eating at my downoi. I've heard they like to munch on soft stem plants, but not a downoi! I know tetras aren't likely to touch it and a pea puffer is out of the question. So that leaves me to the SAE's :(. Damn SAE's!!! Luckily they didn't munch it down to the core of it, because its really taking off :).
Anyone else have comments about their SAE's or from others? Thanks...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't rule out your tetras. What sps. do you have? I have observed several sps. eat plants when they are under fed.

I have seen this behaviour in the following fish:
Phenacogrammus interruptus
Moenkhausia sanctaefilomae
Hyphessobrycon columbianus

All three would take bites out of all the plants, even new growth of Java fern. They have capable teeth and will do a number on the green stuff until they satisfy their hunger. I'd suggest sitting and observing your tank. I f you sit long enough, the culprit will show his face. Once you do get it the hell out and punish accordingly! One must protect the Sacred Downoi at all costs!!!;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have cardinal tetras, rummies, and I kinda saw the cardinals munch on the riccia, so it must be them. I don't want to get rid of them, so I guess I have to make an effort and feed 2X aday. Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaron said:
I have seen this behaviour in the following fish:
Phenacogrammus interruptus
Moenkhausia sanctaefilomae
Hyphessobrycon columbianus
What are the non-scientific names for these tetras? Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congo tetra
Red eye "
Columbian red blue"

Come on man! every lfs employee should know that!! nah, just kidding. Never saw Cardinals chew on plants,so keep watching. Downoi leaves aren't soft but they are really brittle and crack easily so maybe its fish just being rough around the plant. Any plecos in the tank?

To save bandwith, I'll take your Eriocaulon. PM me and we'll work something out, got lots of extras right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts