Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sorta looking for ideas to make my pygmy cories more visable in my aquarium at more times of the day.

They are a tight-knit group, 6 of them all together, and they always come out during feeding time, but that's about it. When not feeding, they are resting in the dark corner in the back of my tank, usually all day.

Am I bathing them in too much light? (2x13watt 6500k bulbs) Are my fish just shy? They always seem to flee the area as soon as I enter the room (Have had them for 5 months now) and only come out if I am still for a while.

I know C. pygmeus is a true bottom dweller, unlike Habastrous(sp?) which prefer the mid-water levels, but do they really prefer a darker tank than I am providing currently? Should I expect things to get better when the salvania starts growing in more?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've never noticed a Corydoras species that was downright shy. All of mine are out and active. Yours may need a little encouragement :)

I think adding a few more might help. I was at a store yesterday that always orders large quantities of C. pygmaeus, and I noticed that the tanks with the most fish were the most active, whereas the tanks with a dozen or so left were sort of lethargic.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a couple of cories in a low light 20 that are extremely shy. The tank is heavily planted, and there are no aggressive fish in it. They have been in there for a year, but always have been this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts