Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
That's NO3 deficiency.
Add more, like 1/4 teaspoon at least per dose(2-3x a week).
CO2..............make sure you have enough, 30ppm.

I doubt you need Ca/Mg, Cyperus is limestone.
I also doubt you need K2SO4, you get plenty of K from KNO3.
You can add a little Mg if you want.

Stop relying on those test kits. I think that is the core issue for you.
Most NO3 test kits, PO4 etc tend to be junk.
Poor measurement of CO2 can also cause issues.

Add this:

1/4 teaspoon KNO3, 3x a week
Add more PO4, like 2x as much for now 3x a week, see if that helps.
Traces, use Sera, add 7ml 3x a week
Crank the CO2(30ppm at least). A good narrow range pH kit is very good for this. You can also add 2x the voilume for the KH test and get the drops/2 to give you 0.5 units of KH degrees BTW.
Takes 2x as many KH reagent drops.....but gives 2x the accuracy roughly.

Don't dose based on the test kits. Dose based on the make up water you add back.

You remove everything, this prevents any build up, you dose frequently during the week, this prevents anything from running out.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
sllo said:
I will stop using those test kits the and try what Tom suggests and see what happens. I hope I dont kill my fish :)

By the way. I tested the Kh today with 2 test kits. one shows 4 and the other one 3.5. I also tested the ph with three different test kits, sera, hagen low range, and a cheap one i can not remeber the brand i think is prodac. The readings where around 6.4-6.5. I am really having difficulties compairing those colors. Is there any trick on how to accurately compair them and get the exact value of ph?

From my readings and the co2 table with a small error on the readings of kh and ph I can assume that my co2 is between the range of 33 and 48ppm. So I guess with these test kits you can estimate the amount of co2.
I also tested some of the aquarium water after letting it rest for 24 hours and the ph is > 7.5, cant get better reading because my test kits measure up to 7.5.
I've never lost a fish except to suicide jumping.
Pretty unlikely. Never had a disease in 15 years.

This is why I suggest a "range" and that precise control is not needed for most hobbyist. Error on the high side and make sure you keep it there.

The NO3 issue seems to be your issue more than CO2.
H difformis does not look like that with poor CO2 levels, that's a NO3 issue as I stated earlier.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts