Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The clear areas in the leaves are a melt-down like what is seen in Cryptocoryne. I have not seen this in Hygrophila difformis before. The yellow leaves look like they are older leaves. If this were nitrogen deficiency, the yellow older leaves wouldn't be that much different from the rest of the leaves. In N deficiency the whole plant loses a lot of its green color. It might be magnesium deficiency.

The whole plant looks like one sick puppy! I suspect that we have toxicity, here, not just deficiency.

Tell us all you can about your water, how often you change it, and what you have been putting in it.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Your pH test kit probably is using the dye, bromthymol blue. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the pH correct to the nearest tenth of a unit. Generally, a nice grass green color means you are in the right range for CO2. Unless you have soft water with very little calcium and magnesium carbonate, yellow is too much CO2 and blue is too little.

Are your H. difformis plants growing normally? Is the new growth looking OK? Does this clearing or melting of the leaf tissue occur only in the older leaves? What is your lighting schedule? (hours on and hours off) is the tank in complete darkness when the lights are off? (There is a reason why I am asking you these questions about lighting.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts