Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
I looked up Strandkorb on the internet and yes, that would seem to be it. There's a strandkorb in one of your snapshots which the photo credit refers to as a "houseplant chair". I'm thinking it is the English translation for this:

"A Strandkorb (from German, lit. meaning: 'beach basket'; Danish: strandkurv; English: 'hooded beach chair') is a special hooded windbreak seating furniture used at vacation and seaside resorts, constructed from wicker, wood panels and canvas, usually seating up to two people, with reclining backrests. It was designed to provide comfort seating and shelter from wind, rain, sand gusts..."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Exactly! Since I have a bit of a disability I can't use the garden very well so we made this little corner in our driveway for me. Its the Strandkorb, a little table that I can get out of the garage and plants around it.

My Mom and me often sit there in the evenings.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There's a strandkorb in one of your snapshots which the photo credit refers to as a "houseplant chair".
The forum uses some sort of object detection to label images you upload. It's just a list of things it thinks are in the picture. So a houseplant, and a chair. It's not done manually by any user. It does this to all images including your own if you click on them. Kinda neat, although doesn't always work out perfectly!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I took a shot at digging up that suspected new red tiger lotus in my apisto breeder tank and lo, it is not growing from the hardy lily next to it, but was indeed growing from a runner attached to the lotus clear on the other side of a plastic divider:
Insect Branch Textile Twig Wood

Another neat thing is that it apparently is growing another bulb! I replanted it on the far side of the tank so that sometime soon I will have balancing lotuses on each side of the breeder tank.

·
Registered
712 Posts
So, in refreshing my memory of what Diana has written about organic matter decomposition and the supply of CO2 in the aquarium, I came across this footnote on page 88 of EPA:

"11. Plants in ponds would be less likely to be carbon-limited, because they have carbon inputs in addition to fishfood, water, and soil. For example, bugs, tree leaves, etc falling into ponds bring in organic carbon. Furthermore, ponds usually contain water lilies and other emergent plants. These plants bring carbon from the air into the pond. They use air CO2 for photosynthesis (p.144) and when parts of these plants decompose, the carbon that originated from the air is released into the water as CO2 that the plants can use."

So, don't throw those clippings away!

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I took a shot at digging up that suspected new red tiger lotus in my apisto breeder tank and lo, it is not growing from the hardy lily next to it, but was indeed growing from a runner attached to the lotus clear on the other side of a plastic divider:
Another neat thing is that it apparently is growing another bulb! I replanted it on the far side of the tank so that sometime soon I will have balancing lotuses on each side of the breeder tank.
The muscle and "reach" of your Tiger Lotuses is amazing!

·
Registered
Two shrimp tanks and a patio pond.
88 Posts
I have two seedlings of the native Nelumbo lutea that are growing big enough to go into a friend's large pond. They are tricky, wish me luck.
My dream is to grow American lotus. So many attempts have failed!!! I think flooding and allelochemicals. It even grows wild here in my county, Palm Beach County! 😭 I hope to succeed soon, I’m learning so much.

·
Registered
Two shrimp tanks and a patio pond.
88 Posts
Mine didn't make it. I think the water temperature was too high. We had a terrible summer here.
But that’s what I keep hearing! The temp MUST be high for lotus! It’s so delicate. I’ve grown it better on the banks of a pond but the moment the water had risen it died! I’m going to try to grow American lotus in a big oversized pot on my patio.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts