Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this lilly, Nymphea Micrantha, quiet a while ago. It's a beautiful leaf with all sorts of colors. I've kept lillies for years and always had them spread by runners. I've read once or twice on the forum about babies being produced on the leaves. That has never happened to me... UNTIL NOW! I think this is the coolest thing. I had to share pxs. If you look closely you can see small roots. I'm interested to see how this develops.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My tiger lillys do that all the time if you leave it there long enough it will form a bulb and you can tease it away from the mother plant. That bulb should produce a new lilly and if you tease that lilly off of the bulb, the bulb will make another and if you tease that one and then that one and then that one, BAM lilly overload.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This lily has a bulb. I've never had them form more bulbs. I have bulbs produce plant after plant. I'm constantly pinching this one back as the leaves get 6" across and want to go to the surface. Maybe that's what spurned it to do this. I just think it's so cool!

I know what you mean about lily overload. I only keep 2 in my tank as they just get too big.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had my tiger lilly put out bulbs like crazy. I started with one and ended up with 6 or so. It took a very long time but it was a nice surprise when I starting rummaging around and found tiny little versions of the main bulb attached by roots to the mother bulb...err...plant.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
That's really cool! I'd never seen that before either, my lilies always spread by runners. I guess the leaf is trying to look so cool that you wont want to pinch it off. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts