Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Interesting discussion! I would be very surprised if the big chains and discount big box stores ever got into the planted end with anything other than a handlful of common plants. You can find some ferts, but nothing beyond the basic stuff. There's just too much education involved of the employees to make it worth their while, imo. Other than the '...plants make your tank more beautiful and add to the health of the filsh, blah, blah...' you don't get much more from the employees there.

There is one lfs in this area which has some knowledge of plants and does have a display tank set up. But other than the owners, I'm not sure how much knowledge the minimum wage employees have here.

Let's face it, there's probably more profit involved selling a few plants over and over again to folks who just take them home and watch them slowly die, than there might be in selling plants to someone who knows how to grow them, and then never returns because they can grow them and rarely returns for more. I may be way off base with this statement, if there's any lfs owners/managers out there, I'd love to hear your take on it.

IMO, the profit is in the supply side, more than the plants. Supplies need replenishing, new technologies emerge you want to try, etc.

Forums like this are the main source of information on this hobby, and I think do an excellent job disseminating it out. I remember when I first read about using CO2 for plants, I went into an lfs and asked one of the employees about it. They looked at me like I was talking gibberish. If we all had the time and energy to offer our knowledge to one lfs in our towns, assuming they were willing to accept it, we could further the hobby tremendously.

Enough ramblings from me. :)

· Premium Member
5,770 Posts
While cost definitely plays a factor, I don't think you can lay all on it. Reef tanks are not exactly cheap, and I would guess there are more 'reefers' out there than there are 'planters'. So again, if exposure and knowledge were out there for folks to learn and try, I think the hobby would have a lot of room in which to grow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.