Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
471 Posts
Bottom line is no, there isn't a huge profit in it, yes, it is expensive to set up for, and no, it doesn't make for repeat customers.

All of our LFS keep CFL, and many T5, in stock. I buy my fixtures online from places that aren't supporting "sticks and bricks" in their pricing. I buy bulbs only if I'm stuck by a sudden bulb death, otherwise I buy replacement bulbs online, too.

I do (well, did, I use very little nowadays thanks to mineralized soil) the same with ferts, as do most of you.

I go to the source for CO2 tanks, no need to pay a re-application of another profit margin to buy it at the LFS, assuming they even got into it.

We go to niche shops, buy two plants, propogate it out, and then we rob the next 20 customers from the LFS as we sell it inside our club. There is no profit in that.

We say their prices are too high on hardware, and shop it online. We complain about their pricing on plants, and order them online. We complain about their pricing on... oh, you get the point.

They have sticks and bricks to pay for. They'll never compete with online pricing on many of those items. Their job is to be profitable in the end, and there is not a lot of profit in selling to our niche - there is actually more in buying from our niche and selling it to those who will kill the plants and come back for more!

This is essentially saltwater reef (lite?) - the freshwater version; with the caveat being that no one can propogate a coral tank like we can a planted tank - and there obviously isn't money return in coral, either, as the big chains would all stock it if there were!

Even if the make a movie about a neon tetra, I think the "explosion" would be short lived - people will do what they do now; buy a couple plants, kill them, replace it with plastic and move on.

· Premium Member
471 Posts
The other issue to consider is one of scale.

There just aren't enough dedicated planted tank hobbyists locallized in many locations to make it worth it to set up shop.

GWAPA, my club, is one of the largest in the country I think. You'd think we'd be a home run, set up a shop in DC or Maryland. I don't see it working. I see how we shop things, I see how we buy things, both as a group and as individuals. I can't see how any shop would be able to support an actual site and sell to us profitably.

· Premium Member
471 Posts
Great point - so many ways to do things, and every approach has its own challenges and solutions to those challenges.

Manwithnofish, you are hardly the average aquariast putting that kind of investment in!

Wish you better luck with it. My system is one of those speciallized systems, so I'm SOL most of the time in helping folks who, for instance, dose a water column in the EI system... I like the advice of find someone who runs tanks and systems you'd like to emulate, and find a mentor. It is what I did!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.