Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Here is a good thread with some actual measured info.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/21257-odno-measurements-power-consumption-vs-light.html

Currently I have a 55G and I am also running 2 32w T8 6500K bulbs(GE). I have them both 2x ODNO. I find this is good light, prob around medium, I figure its ~100w total. I'm using a shoplight, although its not a typical one as it has decent built in reflectors. I am not using CO2 but have started using Excel.

On yours since you have 2 separate ballasts, then you could use the info in the chart and figure you are getting 69w from the 4x and 54w from the 2x, which means 121w total(it all depends on the ballast factor of your ballasts). Now this in itself is medium light which would greatly benefit from CO2. Depending on the reflector or lack of one, you could have over medium light or under medium light IMO.

But it depends on how good your reflectors are and how high off the water surface the lights are as to there effectiveness.

· Registered
145 Posts
Pearling is air bubbles on/under the plants. It means that the plants are doing well and you have enough of them to load the water to its max of O2.

If you do a water change you can see false pearling as the water prob has excess Co2 and you'll have bubbles all over.

At a minimum i would paint the inside of the hood white, it would be better if you could buy some roof flashing and make some sort of reflector then you could highly polish it or paint it white.

DIY CO2 if not working properly can cause algae issues if it fluctuates alot, so make sure to a good diffuser and get a solid mix thats as stable as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.