Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a homemade CO2 generator (pop bottle method, 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon yeast) and was wondering how many bubbles per minute I should be aiming for. When it first started (yesterday) it was bubbling very fast (a bubble every second or so), but after a day it has trailed off and is now only bubbling once every 5-10 seconds. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It shouldn't putz out that fast.

You might have a leak.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How are you getting the bubbles into the tank? Airstone? DIY reactor?

I have a DIY CO2 on both of my tanks (10g and 29g) both of them are coming out of a Aquafina bottle (20 oz) and then that tubbing going into the tank into the side of a plastic bottle (one of the water feeders that hangs on a hamster cage upside down) that I cut the bottom off.

I am getting 1 bubble about every 10 seconds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should be using 1/2 tsp. Yeast peters out pretty quickly.
With 1/2tsp. of good healthy yeast you should see a bubble or two every 10 secs. This will increase as the yeast settles in and gets to work.
You should get approx. 10 days - 2 weeks of consistent bubbles with this mixture with no leaks. At 10 days it is advisable to make up another bottle and as soon as the first one starts to lose it's consistent flow, replace it with the new mix. The pH will fluctuate which can be stressful to the fish if you allow too much time between changes.
If you have soft water, a pinch of baking soda will assist the mixture.

Len

1 - 4 of 4 Posts