Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to enlist your help in planning my aquascape for my tank.... It is a 46 gallon bowfront with 96 watt lighting and a xps2 filter. I have eco-complete substrate mixed with flourite black sand. I will be dosing with ferts and plan on putting in root tabs to heavy feeders, if needed. This is what I am thinking as a frame-work so far...

The red area I would like to be a low-growing plant like Riccia fluitans, Glossostigma elatinoides, or Hemianthus callitrichoides. Out of these, which do you think is a) easiest, b) most attractive, and c) liable to live in my current setup until I get my CO2 in a few months?

The yellow area I was thinking about doing a mid-height plant like a Hygrophila difformis or Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea.' Any other plants that you could suggest?

The blue area I would like a central focus piece... something fairly low with a rounded shape like a Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri.' Any others that I should consider?

Finally, in the green area I'd like to put in some of the taller plants to fill that back corner like some Val, Hygrophila difformis, or a ludwigia...

What do you think? I appreciate all of your input and help for this novice!!

Gratefully,

Padre Gideon+

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Well, I'm neither great nor wise, but I'll give you my 2 bits.

In my experience, Hemi. callitricoides won't make it in your tank w/out CO2 and only medium light. I'd pick from the other two or try pygmy chain sword, or a tiny cryptocoryne like 'parva'.

For midground, you can also consider using Bacopa for a different texture and some color.

You could also put a sword in there somewhere if this set-up will be one of those 6-month-and-then-redo-deals. With moderate light, a sword will grow a little more slowly. I've got two 'amazons' and an 'ozelot' in my 50 (5 months now) and they still have not gotten too large for the 'scape.

-Dave

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would like to enlist your help in planning my aquascape for my tank.... It is a 46 gallon bowfront with 96 watt lighting and a xps2 filter. I have eco-complete substrate mixed with flourite black sand. I will be dosing with ferts and plan on putting in root tabs to heavy feeders, if needed. This is what I am thinking as a frame-work so far...

Pretty good...

The red area I would like to be a low-growing plant like Riccia fluitans, Glossostigma elatinoides, or Hemianthus callitrichoides. Out of these, which do you think is a) easiest, b) most attractive, and c) liable to live in my current setup until I get my CO2 in a few months?

I think it would look better with a higher growing stemmed plants toward the back and have Dwarf Sag. in the front...

The yellow area I was thinking about doing a mid-height plant like a Hygrophila difformis or Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea.' Any other plants that you could suggest?

Good choices! HM or a Bacopa would be nice also.

The blue area I would like a central focus piece... something fairly low with a rounded shape like a Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri.' Any others that I should consider?

That isn't really a foreground plant... I would use riccia tied to flat rocks and have a small bit of the Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri' right in back of it.

Finally, in the green area I'd like to put in some of the taller plants to fill that back corner like some Val, Hygrophila difformis, or a ludwigia...

I would say some Val nana or val spiralis and some stemmed plants (ludwigia, rotala, etc...)

What do you think? I appreciate all of your input and help for this novice!!

Gratefully,

Padre Gideon+

The questions are answered in bold...

Most of your choices are good but I was just trying to give you some pointers.

Please ask me some questions and I will try to answer them as est as possible. I will be checking this thread fairly often...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input! Based on much of the response that I have been given here and elsewhere, I decided to get my CO2 up and running before I plant. Hopefully, this will enable me to get the best start possible. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an update of my tank... I got my pressurized CO2 system up and running and that is working flawlessly (so far!). I was also able to get a bunch of nice plants from my local aquarium club meeting auction. Here are some pics of the updated tank... Although the plants have changed, the general idea for the tank has not.... high and full on the left, tapering down to low on the right.

Here is the front (sorry in advance for the glare)

Right front

Center front

Left end

Right end

I have also added more dwarf harigrass to the right side, as well as some water sprite to help get the tank established. I appreciate any feedback!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK... here is a better shot without the glare and about a week and a half after the first pics. I pruned my Java Moss because it was getting pretty wild!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
It's looking good. You have a nice variety of plants, good blend of colors and shapes. The driftwood looks a little stark but should blend in well as your back left corner plants start growing around and through it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looking good!

Just have to wait for all the plants to grow in now.

are you thinking of tying moss onto the left side of the wood?I think that would help it blend in a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Catherine! I am hoping the same thing. I will move things around if they don't quite turn out right. Of course, that's the beauty with planted tanks--you can do that! ;)

CobraGuppy--thanks for the suggestions. I considered that, too. Where do you think that moss would look the best on the left side?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say mostly on the tips. It seems like the tips were cut to make it fit in the tank and so i think putting moss there will let it blend in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts