Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replanted this 75 gallon and wondered what you guys think. I am new to this, but let me have it anyway as I can't make up my somewhat neurotic mind. At least my driftwood finally sank. Planting tips much appreciated on the glosso.

I can't figure out how to upload pics to this site so they are here:
http://photobucket.com/mcsinny99

Thanks for looking:confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts

Looks like a good start! I think the overall shape will be pleasing once all of the plants fill in, maybe add some dark green plants interspersed throughout for contrast? Like a few more Anubias Nana (I know, EXPENSIVE!) and more Microsorum sp. on the back wall? The Java ferns will propagate eventually...

What fish are thinking of using? I like your driftwood, pieces that big always take forever to sink!
Keep us updated!:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of adding some anubis, but where can I find microsororum? My local lfs's kinda suck for plants. Will be adding cardinals and discus. Have 3 clowns (snail invasion) and 6 ottos at present.
How did you get the pics up?
Thanks for comments and pic post!:D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
A great place to find plants is on this site in the For Sale/Trade forum. I think you need to have 25 or 35 posts before posting there (read the guidelines), but you can reply to posts...I think.

You can also try a number of online retailers: aquabotanic, aquariumplants.com, aquaticgarden, aquaticmagic, drsfostersmith, and MANY more, these are just the ones I could remember off the top of my head. Look at the "Sponsors Forum" and see which one's sponsor this site. (Always good to support the sponsors...be sure to read through threads in their respective areas so you know other people's experiences with each sponsor. )

·
Registered
256 Posts
Impressive. That is one huge chunk of wood in there. I love clowns but never had any luck with them. My Yoyo loach is great though. Just wish he would stop digging up stuff. lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Monkey-
I did by some stuff from for/sale trade maybe I'll give it a try, from what I understand microsororum is rare...

Angie-
Why not get the big driftwood? more room to stick stuff to

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Mr. Monkey-
...that made me laugh! :D

Anyway, did you mean Microsororum or Microsorum (as in Microsorum pteropus, aka Java Fern) ? If you meant the Java Fern, then you're in luck. It's not rare and is usually readily available (at least nowadays).

-Dave

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know, I have two java ferns attached to the driftwood and growing great, I'm asking you guys what would look good as I am still trying to sort out the scientific names. Something I was thinking besides the darker greens is it seems to suffer from a lack of red stuff.

...that made me laugh! :D

Anyway, did you mean Microsororum or Microsorum (as in Microsorum pteropus, aka Java Fern) ? If you meant the Java Fern, then you're in luck. It's not rare and is usually readily available (at least nowadays).

-Dave

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lights- 4 ft fluorescent (came with the tank)
2x24 inch 6700 t5
1x48 inch 6700 t5

Flourish excel 2caps every other day
Florapride every other week
flourish tabs in the gravel bed
Co2- still waiting on the indicator about 3 bubbles per second
water changes 30% once-twice week depending on work schedule vs. free time

Do I need to take the carbon out of the filter carts? I was reading they wreck liquid ferts?

Out of curiosity, what type of light do you have? Do you dose any ferts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take the carbon out of the filter and replace it with purigen.
Purigen eh? Does the tank get stinky with this stuff? I just read some stuff on it and it sounds good...

Here is a bathtub:emptybath
Not really a smiley. Who makes these?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I've heard mixed things about carbon in a planted tank. There was a suggestion for an experiment, but no one had the extra tank and the $$ money for all the test kits to get the results. I use a HOB filter that has carbon already in the filter cartidges and every 3 months I put new carbon in another media-holder in the filter. I have not noticed any ill-effects, but I've also not tried without carbon to see if there is any difference.

Personally, I'd say if your tank doesn't smell 'fishy', leave the carbon out. If it gets an aroma :painkille to it, use a little carbon to absorb the smell.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts