Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(back story) I had to make a cover for my tank 'cus it was so warm that the water was condensing on our windows and ruining them and all that. So I make a top using plexiglass...will my lights be ok with this sitting under it? or will me lights melt it...so let me know if this plexiglass will work!! Thanks!

G

·
It sounds like you're using a canopy? What size is the tank? A bit more explanation, and someone should have an explanation.

What types of light bulbs are they? Compact fluorescent? Straight tube fluorescent bulbs? Metal Halide? Most of these generate quite a bit of heat, so be careful no matter what.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not so much a canopy as my lights are just a fixture that sits over my tank which used to be an open top. Its the hagen glo T5 system

·
Registered
697 Posts
i would suggest replacing that plexiglass with real glass. if it's as humid as you're saying the plexiglass will warp and sag. you just have to remember with a cover over your tanks like that, you need to be on top of keeping it clean of mineral deposits, which will eventually reduce the amount of light into your tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, its day two and its saging already....are there any other suggestions for a way to cover my tank? It gets pretty cold here in indiana in the winter but I usually keep my tank at 76F degrees...ill only have it covered during the winter too

G

·
I've used a glass cover like that over my 29gal for over 2 years, and it's never gone wrong for me. The one time I ask a friend to take care of it, she takes it off to clean something, sets it down behind her and breaks a corner off of it by stepping on it.

Classic 'eh?

I'd recommend glass for such a high heat application, for sure. I only use a dual 24" fluorescent setup on my 29gal, and looking to do the same thing you're going thru - upgrading to hotter more intense lights sometime down the road. Hope the glass works out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts