Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 20 long. Let it rip. Of course, I'm particularly interested in suggestions that might improve it, but I also want to hear what you guys hate about it too.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think you have a good tank there. I like the variety of textures there and I think you did a decent job of getting some depth to that tank :)

a couple things that IMO are working against you
1) that light shade of green is everywhere. would be nice to see a little more variation in shades.
2) the lone piece of stargrass? ont he left has to go
3) the 4 stems in the center (?) have to go.

..just my humble opinions.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I agree with Gomer on the critique. THe tank looks very nice Pat. Excelent job on the feeling of depth and also dealing with such a short tank. What size is it? I would consider adding a midground using something like A. nana "petite" It would give you a color and leaf shape that is deficient in this scape. I also would consider changing to a foreground palnt with smaller leaves. Something like one of hte Marsilea sp. It stays smaller and has a darker color. Also, it does not grow vertically like glosso giving the foreground a more manicured/formal look.

Just my 2 cents worth. Very nice though. Your plant health is also very good. Keep it up:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I love love love the riccia "shrubs". They're SO neat! I agree that the Bacopa monnieri should be removed; or you could put it somewhere else in the tank where it's not so conspicuous. If you want to add a little color and variety, you could use some small cryptocorynes in the foreground - like a little accent in front of the hidden anubias on the left, or where the Bacopa presently stands.

What a beautiful tank and healthy-looking plants! I don't think I've ever seen such blood-red R. macranda (or whatever that is in the back), either.

Out of curiosity, what is that lonely little plant on the left? Is it just something you're trying to grow out? I'm guessing it's not stargrass.

-Naomi

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I also love the tufts of Riccia fluitans on the small branches. Have you considered making it a more dominant part of your aquascape? :D

I would remove the errant stems of Bacopa monnieri.

Prune the Tonina sp. to create a neater tier (short in front, tall in back).

I agree with the others, that some small Anubias sp and/or small Cryptocoryne sp. in the midground would improve this aquarium. Regular Anubias barteri var. nana would work, as I find Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite' way too small to offer larger leaved texture in anything but the smallest aquariums.

Dwarf Lobelia would be another excellent choice.

Keep us updated!

Carlos

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, here's a little more info

First off, I hate the Bacopa too. It was included as an "extra" in with some plants that I bought. I'd never grown it before so I just threw it in there and gave it a try. Not only is it poorly placed, I really just don't care for the plant, period. It's gone.

The little sprig of stargrass on the left is actually an interesting story. Maybe two years ago, I had a nice stand of stargrass in this tank, but then I let this tank sat empty and neglected for about a year. I just turned the lights out and completely abandoned it. When I finally decided to rescape the tank, everything in was dead with the exception of an Anubias Nana that was doing just fine. I decided to remove all the Fluorite and try Tom Barr's suggestion of placing a thin layer of peat down on the bottom before putting the Fluorite back in. But when the tank was replanted, these little sprigs of grass started popping up everywhere. At first, I thought that the peat must have been contaminated with some sort of terrestrial grass seed, so I used tweezers to remove all the sprigs that I could. Finally, I decided to see how long this "terrestrial" grass could survive underwater. I'm sure that you've already guessed that it wasn't a terrestrial grass at all, and I was removing little sprigs of stargrass that were coming up everywhere in my tank.
I don't have any idea of where they came from. Either the stargrass had flowered and made seeds, (I've seen it flower frequently above the water) or tiny pieces of the roots were still alive and setting there dormant in the gravel. At any rate, that little sprig on the left is just one that I've yet to use the tweezers on.

As for the Tonina, I received that as an extra too. I kind of like it, so I'm trying to propagate it. Right now, my main priority is just to get some more of it. I'll worry about aquascaping it later.

The foreground plant is Glossostigma Elatinoides. I bought some Hemianthus Callitrichoides for this tank, but even after paying $25 to have it shipped overnight, it still arrived as mush. I still want to obtain some of that plant, but I guess I'll have to wait until the weather cools off before trying to have it shipped again.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Thanks everyone, here's a little more info

Pat Bowerman said:
I bought some Hemianthus Callitrichoides for this tank, but even after paying $25 to have it shipped overnight, it still arrived as mush. I still want to obtain some of that plant, but I guess I'll have to wait until the weather cools off before trying to have it shipped again.
Good grief! I've sent the stuff Priority Mail to at
least a half dozen people (a few of these people
loved it so much, they asked for more) this summer
and it's always arrived in good shape (at least
according to the recipients). It's possible that the
ones I send are in emersed form, but if they are,
they seem to have very little problem transitioning.

For one person, I sent it on a Tuesday or Wednesday
and it didn't reach them until the following Monday, all
the way in Florida. It was fine. I'll probably be going
to pick up some more for another person on Monday.
If you're interested, drop me a PM.

-Naomi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts