Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Been a while since I have done much posting, been quite busy. I recently made the move from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon.

Other than spending all my time trying to find a job, I have been trying to stop at a few LFS when I have time. I am hoping some members can direct me toward the best ones. I am also wondering if any of you west coast folks get together for meets. Unfortunately there were few APC members in my area on the east coast, seems it may be different here.

Unfortunately I had to get rid of everything for the move which I made in my car. The only thing that made the trip was my CO2 tank/regulator. I have yet to use it, but I had been so excited about going pressurized that I couldn't bare to part with it. It will probably be a while before I have the funds to get up and going with a tank again, but until then I was hoping to gather some information from everyone about the hobby in our area.

Lastly, I wanted to apologize to everyone for bringing all this east coast weather with me. Whoops!

·
Registered
574 Posts
You just had to bring Maine with you, huh?

If the streets are ever drivable again, check out the Wet Spot in the Hollywood district, northeast side on Sandy around 44th or so. It is the best store for freshwater you will probably ever see. There are a couple of us that pretty much live there:D

There is going to be a plant swap on Jan 24th, location yet to be determined. Keep checking this thread for details: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=54944
If you can get a tank with some water in it by then, we will fill it with plants for you!

Portland is a great place, welcome!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome back!

I think you're in a very good area for water quality and good stores. One I keep hearing pop up is "The Wet Spot", which is in your area and supposed to be one of the best.

Edit: Minsc and I were posting at the same time. I guess that's another vote for the Wet Spot. ;)

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi Skelley,

Welcome the the Great Northwest! Many of our GSAS members recommend "The Wet Spot" in Portland. There was also a "Plant Swap" event down there this fall. I also understand there is a very good aquarium society (Greater Portland Aquarium Society) down there, no doubt their members would be pleased to offer suggestions. Two our APC sponsers are also down in that area, Aqua Botanic and Oregon Aqua Design. Welcome to a great part of the country!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome back to the forum, Stephanie.

I envy you. You're moving to a beautiful part of the country. Actually from one to another.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. Yep, Maine came with me. I was actually looking forward to a mild winter this year, had enough of the snow myself. This is nothing compared to the North East (it is really bad out there right now). But we were spoiled with all the road salt and plows. When you never get this weather, I can see how to resources are slim. My second week here I had a fire truck hit my parked/unoccupied car and my rental has horrible tires. So we have been doing a lot of walking. I don't mind it though.

So my first LFS was Tropical Hut on Division. Not mind blowing, but they had a few fish I had never seen in pet stores. Even a Lungfish for sale. I went to Caye's Aquarium far out on Division. Not really worth the long trip. And I have gone to the Wet Spot. I must say I was impressed. I have never seen so many discus in a pet store; in Maine you may see one a year. Plus they had nice planted tanks. It is nice to see stores that have an appreciation for the hobby and know what they are doing. Were I come from, if it isn't a Pet Co./Quarters, it goes out of business quickly. On my list I still have World of Wet Pets (SW Apple Way), Rose City Aquarium (Powell), and The Cichlid Exchange (NE 42nd). Any reviews?

I would love to join you all at the plant meet. Unfortunately for the time being I couldn't offer much more than an introduction (perhaps drinks or cookies?). Well, I do have a couple extra glass diffusers. I am sure I could scrounge up a cheap 10g for plants from Craigslist for the time being as I already have the ferts and CO2. But unfortunately I had to get rid of all my lighting before I moved. Not sure what I could find to hold me over.

Thanks for the warm welcome, despite the cold weather. Look forward to meeting people!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Good to have you back, so welcome back :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
On my list I still have World of Wet Pets (SW Apple Way), Rose City Aquarium (Powell), and The Cichlid Exchange (NE 42nd). Any reviews?
World of Wet Pets is a bit strange. It was started by an ex-Wet Spot employee, and they used the exact same store layout... Not a bad store, but kind of creepy. If you go, there is also Aquaticus across the street, which has a nice selection of frags if you are into salt water. Rose City I haven't been to. The Cichlid Exchange is a wholesale only location, so you won't be let in.

I would love to join you all at the plant meet. Unfortunately for the time being I couldn't offer much more than an introduction (perhaps drinks or cookies?).
No worries, everyone is invited, no donations necessary:)

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Hello and welcome! It's good to have you here in Oregon even if the weather isn't being particularly welcoming. I hope you're able to make it to the plant swap January 24th even if you don't have or aren't ready for plants. I missed the first meet because of a miserable cold but I'm going this time. Not because of the plants so much as for the chance to meet other enthusiasts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am excited to meet other enthusiasts as well. There weren't too many in the area I lived in before. Though I was able to turn a couple friends into fish geeks, it wasn't to the extent that I am. They leaned plastic or silk plants. Though I did enjoy being the "Fish Dr." among friends.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Welcome to Portland the land of snow, Thanks to you ?

As for cheap tanks it pains me to say this but..... Petsmart is having their aquarium sale. 9.99 for a ten gallon and pretty good prices on the rest. I am not a fan of petsmart but its hard to best the 20% off sale sometimes on new tanks.

Look forward to meeting you at the meet if you come.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yipee, my first plant meet!

We are looking at perhaps a 40g bowfront in the future. But to start, a 10/15g for plants should be do-able via Craigslist. Hmm... if I can just figure out some cheap lights to hold me over until I get situated w/a good tank and some AHSupply. This will probably be a slow start, but I am hoping I can get some good growth/propagation in a grow tank before I take the plunge again.

Anyone have any luck with any Home Depot type shop lights over a tank?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use shop lights from HD on my 30 gallon. It works fine with the right bulbs. There are a few full spectrum tubes at HD.
If all you want is to get started with the 10 gallon, you can use 1 or 2 spiral compact florescent bulbs in a cheap desk lamp. It is pretty easy to get the full spectrum with those bulbs as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts