Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Jay. The scapes are so simple, yet so amazing!Does anyone know the foreground plants in all of the pictures?

·
Registered
216 Posts
thanks Jay!

two more questions for everybody.

1. are Dupla and ADA the best equipments/aquascapes in the world? this question sounds stupid. i just discussed with a friend shortly yesterday. he just mentioned Dupla. honestly, i never heard that brand and anything before until yesterday. see~ i'm a newbie here.

2. any reason why there is no Tropica distributor/dealer in the U. S.? we only can buy book in CA! :roll:

thanks for answering me those questions. :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Question 1:

Dupla and ADA products are definitely of very high quality (with the high prices ot match), but I wouldn't say that these products are necessary for creating award winning aquascapes by any means. I do think the glass pieces ADA produces are very pretty, though.

Question 2:

Tropica plants are not allowed into the US because their plants are potted in rock wool. The US requires that all incoming plants must not have growing medium on their roots (rock wool, dirt, etc) so that they can be inspected for parasites, nematodes, etc. Tropica won't remove the rock wool from their plants because the added labor costs would make it unprofitable to sell them in the US.

Anyways, nearly all plants produced by Tropica can already be found in the U.S.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Dupla is a German company that was started by two of the pioneers of planted aquariums. Unfortunately, it has since been sold and the company has lost its edge.

Dupla's book, The Optimum Aquarium, was considered a bible for many years. It is actually what got me into serious planted tanks. It is very out of date now, but nevertheless a good read for anyone.

Certainly Dupla and ADA produce very nice, high-end gadgets. They are not needed to create a good planted aquarium. In fact, you can have all the equipment from Dupla or ADA, but if you don't know how to grow plants, you will get no where.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Art_Giacosa said:
Certainly Dupla and ADA produce very nice, high-end gadgets. They are not needed to create a good planted aquarium. In fact, you can have all the equipment from Dupla or ADA, but if you don't know how to grow plants, you will get no where.
a friend of mine just exactly like that! :roll: he should give his $$$ to me. :lol:

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Dupla has been bought by Red Sea, an Israele company. The future of the Dupla product line is in question. Art used to be the USA distributor for ADA! I guess he doesn't like to talk about it anymore. :wink:

Tropica plants are not allowed into the USA because their packaging does not conform with USA regulations. Tropica fertilizer is sold in the USA. There are two other big plant nurseries in Europe: Dennerle and Hans Barth. Hans Barth has the patends on many hybrid plants, particularly swords.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Art_Giacosa said:
Ole and Claus Christensen of Tropica know if other well. I'm not sure if Ole worked at Tropica, however.
OK. He was manning the Tropica booth at Aquarama 2003 in Singapore. Though at that time, we didn't know the significance of his presence! What a shame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hy friends,

I only want to give you a important information about the Ole Pedersen's.

There are two kind of Ole Pedersen "existing" :lol:

The first Ole Pedersen 1 is a scientist of aquatic plants and other plants. He writing a lot of articel for the Tropica website and he have a very good friendly partnership to the staff of Tropica. Esspecially to Ole Pedersen 2.

Ole Pedersen 2 working in the nursery of Tropica - Denmark. He has a very big knowledge about all different aquatic and tropical plants. Thats the man stay in the background of the Tropica company. He is testing different fertilizer, testing new plants and thinking about new products. And also he set up the most of the show tanks at the exhibitions.
The pictures and the tanks you see are all from Ole Pedersen 2. I know them very good and meeting them every year serveral times. A very nice and funny man. I learn many things from him.

I hope this informations are usefull, for you.

Best regards,

Oliver

Aquarium Picture Gallery

1 - 18 of 18 Posts