Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sure. lol i think it is!. i picked up the stone at my LFS they had it in their bulk rock bins. been trying to figure out what it is since. thanks foofooree!
lol, Your welcome. They have a couple rocks at my lfs, but not enough to make an aquascape with.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update: 26 days or so.

added some new plants some hygro bold and sunset from Tex gal their awesome!!!!!!!!! and some gloso in the foreground.

trying to figure out trimming, something i have never been really good about doing, and its coming along pretty good. My wife even likes it so im happy!

i have cut my light in half only 2x65watt. i did it during the BGA outbreak and decided i like it lol. plants are not pearling as much but they still look pretty happy.

PICTURES

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thanks for the replies.

Tex Gal
Re: "Once again" my re rescaped 55g
Boy what a difference in your growth!!! It's amazing! It's really filling in. You're gonna be selling moss soon! Don't you just love this hobby?!!

P.S. Thanks for the kind words about the plants... glad you like them!
Your welcome Tex Gal the sunset is doing great btw. new leaves and growing fast. The bold i think is still getting used to its new home, the stems melted a little around the substrate i'm hope ing it takes off soon. They both are Great looking plants!!!

i have trimmed that moss three times now:D Yes i should start selling it. need to remember what type it is LOL.

This hobby rules!!

BlackTop_Kings
Re: "Once again" my re rescaped 55g
this is a great re scape I really like the new look. cant wait to see more
I cant wait either!!! :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not really an update here i am trying to learn more how to use my camera and the macro lens. so here are some pics. also a full front i forgot on last update. im starting to have some water flow problems as my plants are pearling more on the 3/4 left side then on the right. going to add more flow soon as i get some extra cash that doesnt have to go back into my store.

I think my photos are getting better if i slow down and put some time into the shot. please let me know what you think on how i can improve my shots?
glosso i just added needs a trim.

a shot of the sunset hygro

And closer

little sae having a meal im going to sneak up on him.

he is mad at me for disturbing his meal

Really mad now

little bugger hard to catch

Moss?

Moss?

nana patite

hygro Kompact

my surprise plant red tiger lily popped in to say hello

Full tank shot

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have been trying to figure out what moss this is, I looked at my file and i think that its xmas moss? I tried a couple of mosses that didn't do to well then this one took off. they where all very very small starter plugs so most didn't make it.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Is that hygrophila angustifolia around your wood? You are gonna have to share some of that with me! The stuff I get has a much wider leaf. It looks like you will have to prune it pretty soon!

Looks like your Blyxa is doing nicely, and your Pogostemon is growing pretty well. it is not a terribly fast grower, but grows steadily. I don't remember what you got from me, is that Bacopa australis I see? That looks nice too. You need some more color! Take advantage of the fact we have soft water. Other people would kill for our water. Try the Myriophyllum tuberculatum, its another soft water plant. Also Ludwigia cuba and Limnophila aromatica hippuroides. Cabomba furcata when I have it...

When you get your Ranunculus going, you can trade that back to me too! Between you and Catherine, maybe I will be able to build a good supply again! :D
Your corymbosa kompakt looks different from what I sell too. The leaves look larger, longer, instead of compact. Looks more like regular Hygrophila corymbosa.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
hello,
I am in need of a trim!!! ;) Would be more then happy to do a trade. Just P.M. me Robert and we can work something out. not in this tank but just FYI i have some small crypt. Tropicas, about 8 emersed.
I had hoped that the H. Sunset, Bold, or Pogostemon stellatus would give me my much needed color, but they have not i am still learning their needs i guess.

Limnophila aromatica has got to be in my top 10 list of plants! sad part is its also in my top 5 plants i like to call "dead before i even plant them" i seem to kill it every time i try. dont even get long enough to figure out what i did wrong.

here is my plant list with photo

1. Vesicularia montagnei - Xmas moss

2. Hygrophila polysperma - 'Sunset'

3. Cryptocoryne crispatula - balansae

4. Blyxa japonica -

5. Pogostemon stellatus - NOTE: im stunned how well this is doing for me!!! I cant seem to get it or the Sunset to color up but i have trimmed it twice now since i got it from Aquabotanic, had nice color when i got it too.

6. Micranthemum umbrosum - Giant baby tears

7. Glosso

8. Hygrophila corymbosa - Kompact NOTE: this was purchased at the GPAS auction it was one small pot, it has exploded!!!! the tag in the pot was from the Florida nursery. I have no experiance with H. Corymbosa or H. C. "kompact" so if the tag was wrong i would love to know!

9. Hygrophila corymbosa - 'angustifolia'

10. Ranunculus - NOTE: it has taken a while to get established and my Krib snacked on some of the pieces but its getting a start now i cant wait to see it growing!!! I also put a piece in my emersed setup and it just sent up 3 new leaves so its starting to grow!

11. red tiger lily

12. my new brown rams horns :cool:

13. Hygrophila sp. 'Bold' NOTE: the reason you cant se it is because its not doing well. has melted a bit and has not established at all.

I think thats all i have crammed in their.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I am always happy to trade, particularly locally, and particularly for stuff I have a hard time getting. Plants I can get anytime I want I am not so interested in, and it has to be enough to make it worthwhile, one or two stems of something is of no use to me, and definetly not sunset hygro! If the state inspector or the USDA found that plant in my shop I would be in soooo much trouble!

All from one pot huh! If it isn't growing any taller than that, then I guess it was labled right. Cool.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am always happy to trade, particularly locally, and particularly for stuff I have a hard time getting. Plants I can get anytime I want I am not so interested in, and it has to be enough to make it worthwhile, one or two stems of something is of no use to me, and definetly not sunset hygro! If the state inspector or the USDA found that plant in my shop I would be in soooo much trouble!

All from one pot huh! If it isn't growing any taller than that, then I guess it was labled right. Cool.
I thought HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA was the only hygro on the Oregon no no list, guess after i think about it its pretty much the same plant. I have seen the picture of local lakes where the plant has taken over. makes me angry that someone lets a plant or animal loose in the wild, even more so when it hurts the rest of us in the hobby.

well just let me know how much would be worth it to you and i will see if i can do it! i have lot of stems of that one Hygro A. I have been toping it and replanting the tops for awhile now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
UPDATE: added a second magnum 350 i got off of craigslist. so thats one mag350 running with U.V. Heater, co2 and probe with filter floss to slow flow for U.V. and Heater. Second magnum with purigen and floss to help move water in tank.

Still trying to learn how to trim, LOL

hygro Bold is starting to grow in, it looks great! I will get pics of it next update.

Have i little algae in the moss, a fuzzy hair. Glosso is starting to grow I hope it grows low as i want a low foreground on the right.

As always comments welcome!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A little update, Ripped the HM out of the center because I couldn't make it happy. It's bottom kept dieing no mater how i trimmed so i gave up.

replaced it with limno. Sp, mini.

I lost almost all my moss, it came unattached and i just let it go, im going to try a new moss their i think so its kinda just a couple of pieces their tell i figure out what im doing.

The hygro in the left corner over grew the kompact and the kompact started growing up towards the light, Its also driving me totally insane!!!!!! I am really sick and tired of pulling the dead floating leaves of the kompact out of the tank, every single day! So its going to go bye bye as soon as i figure out its replacement.
IM up for sugestions on this one!!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
OK no one commented? I think im going to use some type of java fern to replace the hygro compact.
My tank is also in grow out mode for the upcoming swap meet so please excuse the random new stems here and their and all the stainless steal squares with random mosses.
the glosso is killing me i keep cutting it down and shoving it under the substrate but it wants to grow up more then to side :axe:tired of hacking it down
Really could use some ideas? anyone what do you think? how can i make it better??
full shot

center

right

left

one of my fav shots!

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
photobucket appears to be down so I can't see the pics right now - but for the Hygro'Kompact' you can consider a darker-leaved Anubias - like coffeefolia.....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
photobucket appears to be down so I can't see the pics right now - but for the Hygro'Kompact' you can consider a darker-leaved Anubias - like coffeefolia.....
Thanks for the idea hooha! :D I wanted to add add a note the BBA sprung up when i had some problems with my inline diffuser (no room for a reactor at this time:mad: ) so for about a week i was having trouble with Co2. Fixed now but man i hate that BBA!!! little tufts on my crypt balansae on the left and my hygro on the right and whats left of the rocks you can see. I am thinking i will remove most of them rocks anyways no sense in having a hardscape you cant see.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
You've really packed in the plants for the swap haven't you? I've been doing the same in my tanks, not very pretty but it's not for long. :)

I think you could use a large leafed plant to contrast with the delicate leaves on the left. If you go with Anubias coffeefolia on the right, how about Anubias minima on the left? It doesn't seem to get too big and it has a nice upright pointed leaf that would fit in nicely as a mid-ground plant between the blyxa and background stems. Your wood wouldn't seem so lonely then, too. Have you thought about adding a bit of color or is it just not showing up in your pics?

You have rocks in there? Unless you plan on attaching anubias to them, they're just taking up valuable planting space so you might as well remove them.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.