Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
hooha said:
photobucket appears to be down so I can't see the pics right now - but for the Hygro'Kompact' you can consider a darker-leaved Anubias - like coffeefolia.....
You've really packed in the plants for the swap haven't you? I've been doing the same in my tanks, not very pretty but it's not for long. :)

I think you could use a large leafed plant to contrast with the delicate leaves on the left. If you go with Anubias coffeefolia on the right, how about Anubias minima on the left? It doesn't seem to get too big and it has a nice upright pointed leaf that would fit in nicely as a mid-ground plant between the blyxa and background stems. Your wood wouldn't seem so lonely then, too. Have you thought about adding a bit of color or is it just not showing up in your pics?

You have rocks in there? Unless you plan on attaching anubias to them, they're just taking up valuable planting space so you might as well remove them.
I like it! now i just hope someone brings some to the swap, Im so impatient when it comes to anubias.8-[ Always staring at them wishing they would grow faster.

As for the afore mentioned color in my tank. GRRRRRRRRRRR I am trying! I have the hygro bold in the middle back right has great color but slow growing for me, to the left of that is the Limnophila sp. 'Mini' that has just started to get going but has lost all color(needs more iron?)(. left of that is Pogostemon stellatus that is growing like a weed BUT has lost its beautiful color it had when i got it from aquabotanic.com (i guess for this i need to lean a macro fert.) To the left of that is my hygro sunset it gets some nice color near the tops sadly this is the part i trim the most LOL so its normally green. The problem is i have picky plants and im scared to mess with their ferts LOL. "if it ain't broke....." I want the color but im not sure how to adjust the ferts to what the plants want. I really can use some help on this. I think i will make a post and see what people say.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Looking good!

Many people recommend marsilea as an alternative to glosso. I haven't tried it personally, but I guess it looks similar, but doesn't have the tendency to grow upward.
Glosso can be a nightmare, totally evil in plant form:snakeman:

I keep thinking Potamogeton gayii would look great in this tank, or maybe some Lobelia cardinalis to replace the kompact?

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
How aggravating that your colorful plants are staying green. I know what you mean about the Hygro sunset, when I have the time I cut and replant the tops and toss the bottoms so I get color lower in the tank. If Anubias are too slow, how about some Crypt wendtii. If you got the bronze or red variety you'd also get some color. :) They wouldn't complain about the Hygro angustifolia shading them either. I keep thinking the golden leaves of Blyxa aubertii would look great in your tank. I have it next to Hygro angustifolia and it's a nice contrast. I don't know quite where it would fit in your tank though. I always seem to get plants and find a place for them later. :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
How aggravating that your colorful plants are staying green. I know what you mean about the Hygro sunset, when I have the time I cut and replant the tops and toss the bottoms so I get color lower in the tank. If Anubias are too slow, how about some Crypt wendtii. If you got the bronze or red variety you'd also get some color. :) They wouldn't complain about the Hygro angustifolia shading them either. I keep thinking the golden leaves of Blyxa aubertii would look great in your tank. I have it next to Hygro angustifolia and it's a nice contrast. I don't know quite where it would fit in your tank though. I always seem to get plants and find a place for them later. :lol:
Its very aggravating! But it is also something i need to learn so i will take it. For the sunset i will try your method to keep the color in. I think i will go with the Anubias and some kind of crypt. That Aubertii is one i have wanted to try but i too have no idea where i would put it, so i have been holding off on it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well have to say its been awhile since an update or since i have been very active on the forums. My 55 has gotton away from me in a way that i would have to say is a wild dutch style. So much has been going on in my life its been hard to keep everything going. With my personal problems and the financial issues its even been hard to keep my store going. Well enuff ramblin here are the latest pics.

It's a little cloudy cause i did a little cleanin but here goes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Wow! You are the moss boss!
thanks, it is growing pretty good . needs a trim bad!

Your colors are looking good. I think the reds just love a lot of light. I do dose extra iron but I think it's mainly the light! :D Great growth!
Im happy just to have some colors going, Been adding a little bit extra iron.

love the new scape!
Thanks, not sure i would really call it a scape more like a farm at the moment, at least that's how it looks to me. Going to do a big trim and clean tonight though i think. Cabin fever is really starting to get a grip on me at the moment. so hope i dont mess it up to bad

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The tank looks like it is coming together nicely, a much cleaner look than when I saw it last.

How's it going these days, are you coming to the Jan plant swap?
Thanks, It looks much better on the pics then in person lol. I ran out of C02 and am having trouble refilling due to this weather, already getting some new BBA. My corner tank is looking way better, but i really cant seem to get a nice pic of it=0(

as for your other 2 questions. Im doing better, at least i am happy and all.

I do plan on coming to the swap, at least im going to try really hard to make it. Things are a bit tight at the moment and my 55g plants are not looking the best to be swaping with people.

You sure did pick a great time to move to Portland LOL this weather is crazy!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks, It looks much better on the pics then in person lol. I ran out of C02 and am having trouble refilling due to this weather, already getting some new BBA.
That sucks. I'm at 300psi and dropping fast myself...

as for your other 2 questions. Im doing better, at least i am happy and all.

I do plan on coming to the swap, at least im going to try really hard to make it. Things are a bit tight at the moment and my 55g plants are not looking the best to be swaping with people.

You sure did pick a great time to move to Portland LOL this weather is crazy!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Glad to hear you are doing better! I think you will be forgiven if you don't bring the greatest plants to the swap, it will be good to see you:) If you need any extremely delicate, expensive, die if you look at them funny plants just let me know, and I'll be happy to bring some over, assuming I can ever get out of my driveway again:rolleyes:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
LOL
that needle leaf you gave me is doing well in my 46. What else you got? LOL

The erios in my 4g melted when the weather changed? not sure why as nothing else in the tank changed but the temp wen down to 70-72 as a pose to the 74-76.

I can't believe this but they are making us come in to work tomorrow. I dont even know how i will get their. car is stuck and bus is not running by my house.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(How about Being a stand up guy and doing whats right)

PayPal has concluded the investigation of your Buyer Complaint. As our User
Agreement notes, we are unable to guarantee recovery.

Case ID: PP-896-041-321
Transaction Date: Jan. 22, 2010
Transaction Amount: $28.75 USD
Seller's Email: [email protected]

Our investigation has revealed that the seller is at fault; as a result,
you would be entitled to your share of any funds recovered, but
unfortunately no funds were recovered. If this transaction occurred on an
auction site, we encourage you to contact that auction site, as they may
provide you with insurance coverage.

We value your business and regret that you have had this experience. To
avoid similar experiences in the future, we recommend that you read the
Security Tips on our website located at:

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/gen/fraud-prevention-outside

Thanks,
Russell
PayPal Protection Services Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.