Aquatic Plant Forum banner

one leaf or one bud=millions of plants?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Sue 
#1 ·
Several days ago, occasionally, I found one website .It introduces a miraculous technique of propagating plants in lower cost and higher efficiency than tissue culture and conventional ways.
Ten millions of plants can be propagated in lower cost and higher efficiency than tissue culture an conventional ways through this kind of technique in half one year.
More than 380 varieties have been successfully propagated up to now!
Facts speak louder than words, you can go to www.clonep.com/english

#2 ·
I went, and it just looks like a technique of rooting cuttings in sand. Nothing very high tech or miraculous. They don't say so, but I bet they use some rooting hormone. The technique probably only works on stem plants, not crown plants

#5 ·
Tissue culture is regularly used with lots of garden plants. Hosta, daylilies and many others are more often than not tissue culture plants in the box stores like Walmart. It's a very fast way to multiply a particular cultivar.

TC is causing a big stir in the daylily world where new introductions go for $200 sometimes more. A tissue culture lab gets hold of an intro and the $200 plant hits the market for under $10. Lot of the collectors will refuse a tc'd plant.
The hosta collectors have gotten used to it and except it much better but still want their new intros to have come from conventional methods.

Trouble is you start with a tiny bunch of cells, grow the plant out to plantable size and it gets boxed up. Any variation or mutation goes unoticed until the plant has grown much larger. In the case of northern states that could be 2 or 3 years. The TC places don't have time to sit and wait and watch for mutations. It gets sold. Somebody buys the plant expecting it to bloom in a particular way and the blossom comes out butt ugly 3 years after purchase. Few are still going to have reciepts for returns and how would you explain it to a kid working part time at Walmart?

Little taste of the TC controversy
http://forums.tinkersgardens.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2024&KW=tissue+culture

There is a lot about it on that board. Comes up often and people get pretty passionate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.