Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... is another person's algae outbreak. So my question is, what is yours?

In my case 'algae free' is defined as having a little gsa on the glass at week's end when I do my weekly maintenance water change routine. Having lots of Anubias, I also accept some gsa on the older leaves.

One other side question - do you have a 'clean up crew'? In my case, I know I owe my ottos and sae's in the various tanks a tip of the hat! ;)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I often get green spot algae on the glass of my tanks and on the leaves of my anubias as well. I think that is the only algae that I ever get now a days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Spot algae is ok. Everything else is unacceptable.

Everything else gets eaten by 8 plecos, 4SAE's and an army of red ramshorns in a 55Gal tank.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
GSA is my main algae in my 'Algae Free" tanks on the glass and sometimes on my Anubias. Staghorn is my main nemesis but it doesn't infect my tanks very often.

Clean up crews consist of combination of Otos, Amanos and Cherry Shrimp my 8 populated tanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
0 algae is my deff. My 5g is algae free due to various snails and ghost shrimp in there now. For my 29 its the same, which is pretty much algae free due in part to LED lighting (not sure how or why).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most of the gsa i get also comes at the end of the week but sometimes a little before. I have a magnet cleaner so any thing that grows on the front of the glass is not a problem and anything on the back i just remove when i do my water change. Most of my plants are fast growing so i dont really get to much algae on the leaves.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
For me, it comes down to the health of the plants. As long as the plants are colorful and growing well, I'll tolerate a bit of algae. Sometimes it even adds visual interest IMO.

It's almost always true though that conditions that favor a large mass of algae don't usually allow for healthy plant growth.

Cleanup crew - otos, corries, amanos. I have one tank with very old nerites that don't seem to lay eggs anymore. They're great for keeping the glass clean.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have all sorts of algae in moderation. If I don't like it, i'll eliminate it. for the most part it is in control.

My crew: nerites, apple snails, trumpet snails, shrimp.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have GSA that i clean off the front glass weekly as well as on my tiger lilly leaves.
Interestingly i have no GSA on the side and rear glass yet the light output i feel is evenly dispersed.
Of note is that these 3 galss panels are wall to wall heavily covered by plants all the way to the water surface.
I feel the reason we have this problem on the front glass is because we keep the plants away from the front glass to have a gradient set up of our tanks and to give fish some room to swim. In other words too much light and not enough plants is the cause of GSA on the front glass.

LAKA

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm so glad I don't get GSA, it sounds so obnoxious to clean the glass constantly:(
Having to scrape the glass is something I expect the first few months, but after that, it takes months to get any buildup worth cleaning.

I'm not sure an algae free tank is possible, but it certainly is possible to get very close. My tanks always seem to have a bit of clado hiding in a dark corner somewhere, and maybe a bit of BBA on the equipment but that doesn't bother me much. The BBA that is currently enveloping all my hardscape, and has been for months does annoy me greatly however:frusty:

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is a good question. I have mild spotting on the glass, and gradual browning of the top layer of the substrate. Is this kind of algae growth preventable or is it inevitable?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I consider my tank to be algae free if I only have GSA on the glass and anubias leaves. It would be nice to not have this, though.

I'm currently re-setting things in my tank to combat the GSA (dropped down from 10hrs to 5 hrs of light, and increase 1/2 hr per week....adjust ferts accordingly) . My cleanup crew are 4 otos, a bristlenose, an SAE and...too many snails....thinking about getting some loaches to reduce the snail population. :pop2:

-Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts