Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Maurici,

For some people, this may be the case. It really depends on what comes out of your tap. Bill and I are both in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we are both supplied by East Bay Municipal Utilities District (please correct me if I'm wrong, Bill), but the water treatment plants specific to our locations give us very different water. In my area, the water is very soft - dKH and dGH are often times 1 or less. Bill has explained to me that his tap water registers at 13 or 14 dH. Plants in my tank are probably more likely to suffer from deficiencies if I did not add nutrients. In some parts of the country, people have some ungodly levels of nitrates right out of their tap - way higher than our target level of ~10 ppm; here, it's below what our test kits can detect. It really depends on what sort of treatment our water goes through.

Bill - this is from a different post, but I'm wondering what's happening to your L. sp. 'Cuba.' Are the leaves still growing out looking like sunset hygro or have they resumed "normal" growth? I noticed the ones still at the shop did the same thing as yours, but eventually started to put out the normal-looking leaves. I'm wondering if maybe this species has an "adjustment period" during which it does weird stuff like that...? Just so you know, they don't add fertilizer to their tanks so the weird growth thing may not have had anything to do with a deficiency (since it did go back to normal growth without fertilizer). I know their plants sometimes show very poor color toward the end of the first week and into the second week after receiving the shipment - this is likely the result of lacking nutrients. They merely survive and grow due to good lighting and CO2 injection.

-Naomi

· Registered
616 Posts
bharada said:
The L. sp 'new' that you bought was either sold out or morphed into something unrecognizable :shock:.
Erm... That was my fault :oops:. A whole bunch of people sent me PMs last week asking me to pick up and send them some. I took the very last of it on Friday :oops:. Sorry!!! I was concerned about hogging them. They assured me that they would try to get more in their next shipment. Since next weekend is 4th of July, the shipment is being put off a week, so probably the 11th. I actually have more requests for this plant to fill. I'm also limiting high-demand plants to two portions per person so hopefully, there will be some left for the locals.

I guess the timing for you just doesn't work out too well - shipments come in Sunday night and are not available for purchase until Monday. But if you work and live too far away, you can't come in until the following weekend, when the plants have already been there for a week or gotten snapped up entirely. If you're able to lie pretty well (which I can't to save my life), you can call in sick to work on a Monday or Tuesday after a new plant shipment arrives :wink: ...

Well, I'm glad to hear that your 'Cuba' is beginning to take on a normal appearance. I'm sure the color will kick into gear in time... Like I said, it might just be taking some time to "settle in."

-Naomi

· Registered
616 Posts
Hey, Chris!

Thanks! And I plan to be at the open house, whenever you're having it. Hopefully, I'll be able to do a little pruning around then to share. If you do end up having it on the 10th, I'm afraid there's not going to be very much to see (plant-wise) at Albany... It will have been almost three weeks since their last shipment. Then again, their plants are better-preserved these days with the new set-up, and they might also happen to be well-stocked with fish released from their q-room. It's certainly a rare occasion that I find a visit there totally wasted... ;)

Hope to see (meet) you, soon!

-Naomi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.