Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I want to come! My aquarium is in a half-life state right now, but I can bring a few java ferns, Sag.Subulata and MTS.

E-cubed, don't feel bad! I was thinking about not going because my plants are common and ugly, but everyone on APC has been kind and helpful, and finally being able to meet a few of the people who have helped so much will mean a lot! It will be cool to meet some fellow NWsters:cool:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Zenzi: All you are required to bring is yourself! Robert set up this swap so we can meet local plant people and relax! The only plants I'm bringing are some small ugly ones that no one will want, but I am really looking forward to meeting real-live plant people! The only plant people I know right now are digital. The date/location is posted earlier in this thread.

Logan's Daddy: It's yours! Don't worry about trading anything, I am running out of room so I really do have to get rid of this driftwood. Whatever anyone doesn't want will be tossed in the woods, that way I can get more driftwood when I go "fishing" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bpimm: you could at least bring me MY stumps that I have been looking for! :fencing:
Well, on second thought I'm to good for your stumps anyway...[smilie=l: I am planning a paludarium that will have no driftwood, only bonsai trees, so only living driftwood for me:rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm starting to get more fidgety with anticipation as the days dwindle down! Robert's hooking me up by bringing my plant order so I can save on shipping, plus I can't wait to take some notes on how you guys deal with our soft water. Harden the water a little, or just dechlor and throw it in? I'm bringing a notepad and pen, and will be asking tons of questions...if you see me coming, RUN!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
We will miss you E-cubed, that stinks! Don't feel bad though, I have a good feeling this won't be the only plant swap! I still go fishing a lot, and more drift wood will definitely accumulate. I will start looking for the smaller detailed pieces though, no more plain logs. When the next plant swap comes around, I will hook you up for sure!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just got over that same stuffy head/cold thing, I don't care if you come with a cold. I remember feeling like total crap when I had it, not fun at all! No one cares if you have to blow your nose a lot either, just part of being human. Hopefully you can make it, but don't stress if you can't! Hurry up and get well;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would also like to thank everyone for giving me a tank full of plants!! Very cool meeting all of you! Logan's Daddy, Jeremy, MedRed, you guys are cool as hell! Bpimm, Your welcome to come on my side of the river anytime (but only keep driftwood from your side)! Minsc, you just about started a riot with those erio minis! Catherine, I hope you get better soon, thank you for the frogbit!

I feel a little guilty though...I took a box of ugly plants/wood and came home with a box of gold! Hopefully see you guys again soon!

Thanks to Robert again for setting this up!

Chris aka 'That guy' :fear:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am setting up a 50gal paludarium right now for the sole purpose of growing plants out. Nothing fancy, but I have a roll of screen to make a moss drip wall and all the moss I got should grow quick emersed. I plan to use several small screen squares to keep moss sp. separate. Hopefully I will have some nice portions to bring for the next swap, but I get the feeling I should leave the java moss at home!

Minsc- I won't get out to tromp through the mud until next year, but we will definitely set something up! My brother and I go to Chinook Landing in Fairview to fish a lot, and that is where I see a lot of hopeful marginal plants that might work. I've failed at growing them submersed so far, but I have extreme low light and no co2, so who knows what could happen if they were put in a high tech tank!

I would also like to set up a trip to Eagle creek if you or anyone else is down for that. Tons of moss that gets flooded, might survive submersed. This is where I found my favorite driftwood that Logan's Daddy got (the smaller piece), tons of this wood is submerged, worn down and heavy, plus it shouldn't leach any tannins. This wood is unquestionable and won't turn to mush! Shorts and a pair of cheap shoes are required for this trip, but you only have to wade knee deep. We have a while to plan this out, it takes 30 minutes to drive from Gresham to Eagle creek, so that would be a long trip for a lot of you guys:(

J.O.P.A. sounds good! Since we have so many trees in the NW, I guess it wouldn't hurt if Bpimm took a couple of pieces from OUR side of the river...:p

·
Registered
341 Posts
Does anyone want 4 Dwarf Puffers? I like MTS snails, but only 5 out of 50 might survive, and I want the MTS for my substrate. All other snails/eggs are gone in 2 weeks. Great for eliminating snails, these guys don't pick on tetras or other fish, but any shrimp or snail is fair game. They even ate my apple snail bit by bit...:pout:

These guys have got to go, let me know if you want them and I will bring them to the next swap, or else I will trade them in for magical beans at the LFS.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
The puffers are in a community tank, and I have kept them with tetras and gouramis and they left them alone. When I first added my fan shrimp (atyopsis sp.) the puffers went straight for it, but the shrimp batted one with his antenna and another with a flick of his tail. Those two puffers went flying like baseballs and none of them look at the shrimp anymore, that was a year and a half ago and they are all in the same tank still. Long story short, the fan shrimp is 4" long and I would not bet on the amanos living long.

I will print out a couple of maps for possible trips and bring them to the next swap, Chinook Landing is right on the Columbia but the driftwood sucks, probably not worth organizing a trip for that spot. Eagle creek is worth it, but it will take up half of a day. One of these days I will have to take a look at Swift creek, I saw Bpimm's eyes light up when he was talking about it, so it must be good! If I make it to the north side of the river I will look, but I won't take any driftwood until people aren't looking at me taking the driftwood...I hope that makes sense:confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bpimm- sounds good, I'm up for a trip in your boat (just don't laugh if I fall in)[smilie=l:

yikesjason- it was nice meeting you to! Were you with the Wetspot or the guy on the OTHER side of the room:p? I was amazed at all of the co2 stuff Wetspot gave away, and I really appreciate the potatoes and apples that one guy brought, they got eaten quick! I am horrible with names, half the time I don't even remember my own:rolleyes:

cs gardener- Sounds like you need a couple of puffers! If Minsc still wants some I could always split them up! Honestly only one is needed per aquarium, and in a month's time snails have to be added to the aquarium so the puffers can sharpen their beaks on the snail shells. Having a separate aquarium to grow snails works good for me, I bait snails from that aquarium and feed puffers in my snail free aquarium. You can tell when the snails are almost gone because there won't be any more adults and the puffers will all hover around the remaining egg sacs waiting for the last hatch.

Thanks for your offer on the kribs, they are awesome fish! I don't have any room right now, but I feel multiple-multi tank syndrome setting in! You people are absolutely no help at all:p. Being able to share and trade whatever excess you have on hand is awesome and it makes the hobby a lot more fun! We really do need to set up a club, the plant swap was everything I hoped for, everyone was chill and and got to share experiences, just be yourself and no one will put you (or your crazy ideas) down (and lots of plants)!

OK...done hogging thread for 5 minutes....8-[

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well its been 5 minutes...can I post now?;)
Yes these are pea puffers, they do school around a bit but they nip at each other once in awhile to, so they do like a little space. That's the only nipping I've seen though, just between themselves like they are playing tag and then they will go right back to inspecting every surface for food. All of my empty snail shells are whole, no bite marks, but I read online that the puffers need to sharpen their beaks on snail shells or else the beaks will grow to long and they can starve. I don't know how true that is or why they wouldn't use a small piece of gravel for their beaks, but better safe than sorry!

I think the Wetspot enjoyed the whole thing, Marci was excited about her new tank! I think we could arrange something for you guys who brought a lot of plants. All of the excess plants that no one had room for went to the Wetspot, better than going to the compost pile. We should setup a deal with the Wetspot for store credit if they would like to come back, any excess plants will be given to them and the donors will get a receipt with store credit on the spot. It would be convenient for both parties and done all at one place and one time, no extra trips involved.

Thanks for hooking me up Robert! I can't wait to get my package!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Robert- I am also sure that the plants the Wetspot people raised their hands for were for their own personal tanks or else the store display tanks. Whatever plants that no one raised their hand for were given to them and probably sold, and I felt it was pretty clear. The main problem is we just don't have enough aquariums!:)

I know I didn't contribute many plants at all, but I don't mind sharing plants with people from the Wetspot, they are hobbyists to. As far as the leftover plants, maybe the contributors could get a discount from them or something. I don't care about trying to make a buck or trying to see what kind of deal I could get, I just enjoy the hobby and meeting fellow hobbyists. Any plants or items swapped are just the frosting on the cake. They already lost any possible profit by giving all of that co2 equipment away, I think they would be just as excited as we are about having an Oregon/Canadi...er...Washington aquarium club.

MinsC- You read my mind! I have been eyeballing those assassin snails to!:rolleyes:

Logan's Daddy- You might have been joking, but I get the feeling were not!
NWPCASFPWPTORWHATEVERWOOTWOOT!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yikesjason- I really do appreciate you sharing the potatoes and apples, I like food! Don't feel bad if your remembered as Apple Man, at least your not That Guy! See you at the next swap![smilie=l:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.