Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just introducing myself

I moved to Salem in '96 I had a plant tank from '97-'98 to around 2000. I think its a 45ish gallon tank, four feet long. I did DIY CO2, (4)-40 watt GE Chroma 50 (sunshine) bulbs. I did ok with it. I could get most things to grow except the lawn type plants. In 2001 I moved to The Dalles and up until five weeks ago the tank had been in storage. A couple of weekends ago I was in Portland and visited the Wet Spot for the first time. It was my birthday and we (my wife and I) got a CO2 system, just what I had always wanted during the tanks previous life but couldn't afford on a student's budget, the tank was enough! So now I'm hoping I can figure things out again, on different water. I'm saddened by what I've forgotten, I let myself get pond snails already... :( I'm amazed by the amount of information and number of groups on the net now. I remember The Krib and The Aquatic Plants Digest, not much happening there anymore.

Robert, I wish we had ran into each other during my time in Salem. Perhaps I wouldn't have let the tank go dormant for so long!

I'm quite by nature but just wanted to raise my hand as another person in Oregon interested in aquarium plants.

Hoping ya'll's plants are bubbly!

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Robert - Sorry for my confusion, I had it in my mind you were in Salem earlier for some reason. Anyway, its cool there are other folks around into this as well as a local place to mail order some plants.

yikesjason - Thanks for the welcome.

It would be cool to make it to a meet if it worked out. As of now my tank is to lightly planted, I'm just getting stuff together while I fight the algae and hopefully gain some confidence from the plant growth I'm getting. My guess is to much light for to few plants, not sure though, but I'm to stubborn to turn off some lights or shorten the photo period, I enjoy being able to see it :) I put together my CO2 diffuser this weekend as opposed to running it to the intake of a powerhead, I guess I'm doing things slow. My one place local to get plants is Petco, their selection is not that great and isn't replenished to often. I did get their two amazon swords that had runners and little baby swords on it in hopes I could make them bigger. But, things are starting to come together and I should be able to order some variety soon. Until I get some and figure out how to make it grow good, I wouldn't know what to do except offer some money for some food and/or carbonated beverages.

I just found you guys and wasn't there to hear any of the talk at the meet about a club. Though I do think it would be neat, I did just wander in so I'll keep input to a minimum for now.

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know which exit to take to get to Fry's in Wilsonville, that is Wilsonville right? Any possibilities in that area? I don't know the area that well just trying to get some ideas generated. I grow pretty excited, my wife will be trying to get off work to attend. I do most of the work on the tank, but she has worked quit a few years in nurseries/greenhouses so she does have an interest which goes deeper than just looking at it.

I got to replace my two shop lights which had (4)-40W fluorescent with (4)-T5 bulbs last night. Yea, more changes to throw things even more out of whack!:rolleyes:

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Potential place to meet on the 24th

Hi everyone,

I've taken some time... at work... to search the net a bit for possible meeting places. Apparently there used to be an Izzy's in Wilsonville that is shut down, they were my first thought as I remember larger back rooms at their restaurants in Salem. But, no go.

There is a place called Boone's Junction Pizza & Pub that sounds like it may work. I spoke with a lady on the phone that said they had a back room with 4 tables that could be closed off. I explained there may be around 15(?) people and asked how much and if we should reserve it for the 24th. She said they would not charge for it. It is also not really a banquet room, not something they normally "reserve", but she said on a Saturday at 1:00 it shouldn't be a problem getting us in there to ourselves.

Unless I hear any objections, or suggestions for a "dedicated banquet room" elsewhere I'll call them back tomorrow and tell them to expect us on the 24th of January at 1:00 PM.

They do not have a webpage but here is some (a little) info from OregonLive http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/et-venue/17271/boones-junction-pizza-pub

What do yall think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife and both will be there so we can add two more. We're both looking forward to it.

If anyone has any "extra" MTS we actually wouldn't mind some. We already have pond snails to hate and if we're going to be ones to hate MTS's we might as well figure that out now. I'm assuming they'll do ok even if in a glass in a climate controlled home? If it's a bad idea let us know.

As far as plants we're just trying to grow anything we can to see what we can and how we like it. Our main supplier is the LFS which doesn't receive much variety very often. Our E. tenellus & microsword are both spreading well. We have four E. osiris that are growing very good. We also have a little Java Moss and a small piece of Java Fern that are doing well. Unidentified stem plant doing good, The one thing I'm surprised about is that what we bought as "Amazon Sword" still isn't doing a whole lot, not dieing just kinda growing slow and short. I would have thought these the things to take off but not yet. I'm interested in ground covers as we never could get those to grow last time we had the tank set up. If anyone has a little HC I'd really like to give that a try. I would be most interested in little bits of variety rather than a lot of one thing as we really still don't know what we want yet. We gotta figure that out.

CS Gardner - I would really like to try any kind of crypt!

yikesjason - I'd like some of your riccia, as I say we're just trying to figure out what we can grow and what we like. We've never tried that.

zer0zax - Sorry ya can't make it, hope to meet you sometime.

I'll stop by some office store and get some labels so people who don't know the names (like me) can keep up with whats what. I'm interested in learning some of the scientific names so that would be a big help for me. Are ziplocks bags ok? I could get some of those as well, or just cruise the various bag aisle at the grocery store and see what there is. It's been a while since I've bought baggies.

I'm just hoping the place we're meeting at is ok. I'll call them again on Friday and remind them that we'll be there.

Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.