Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Oregon plant swap meet

24K views 180 replies 19 participants last post by  yikesjason 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been talking to a few Oregonians here, Medred, minsc, Jeremy and others, about planning a get together for everyone to meet and trade plants and have a little fun!

I propose we meet at a restaurant of some kind, like a pizza joint, Sharis, Dennys, something like that right on I5, somewhere south of Portland between Portland and Salem. I know people in and around Portland, Oregon city, Beaverton, Newport, and Salem. I am sure there are others all over the place. Anybody would be welcome, even if anyone wanted to make the drive down from Washington. Then there is the GPAS people, the wetspot people...

I also propose we do it on a Saturday afternoon. None of this workday evening nonesense!

who would like to come? I'm thinking like the middle/end of September?

Lets hear from people! I have lots of plants to give away!

#60 ·
I'll be there, don't know for sure yet what I'm bringing. Probably Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias nana, Downoi, Hygrophilia low grow, Ammania Bonsai, Java Fern, Marsalia minutia, Maybe some Limnophila Aromatica, Rotala wallichii and anything else I come across.

Brian

#61 ·
I'm coming and I'm totally antsy waiting for it to be time to come. I'll be cleaning/pruning my tanks this week and will bring whatever excess I have. I have at least 10 crypt spiralis plants, Myriophyllum mattograssense, Bacopa australis, Ludwigia arcuata, L repens, a good size Kleiner bar that's taking up too much room in my 29, Ranunculus inundates, and whatever ferns and other stems are taking up too much space. Is anyone interested in floaters? I have red-root floater & frogbit I can bring.

#62 ·
I can't wait for this! After my move my plants are a little on the stressed side but im going to bring some hygros and a ton of blyxia J. i think and what ever else i can trim! And i know this is a plant meet but i have a billion snails if anyone wants some mts and a little bit of red rams. I had hoped to have some erio mini but the flowers are still just flowers =0(

#65 ·
I'd like some ramshorn snails. I lost the last of mine a while back between the hunting of my loaches and bettas. Now I have a couple of safe tanks they should do well in.

I have plenty of frogbit to share, zer0zax, so no worries there.

I trimmed my 29 last night and I have over 50 nodes of Ranunculus so I hope someone is interested in it. Also trimmed several nice pieces of Anubias nana petite and got the Kleiner bar out (soil substrate but very little mess thankfully). Darn sword had recently doubled in height to about 10" tall after being 5" tall for over a year. One tank down, six to go.

#70 ·
We will miss you E-cubed, that stinks! Don't feel bad though, I have a good feeling this won't be the only plant swap! I still go fishing a lot, and more drift wood will definitely accumulate. I will start looking for the smaller detailed pieces though, no more plain logs. When the next plant swap comes around, I will hook you up for sure!

#73 ·
Grrrrrrr, I've been fighting a cold since Sunday evening and it's showing no sign of abating. I really hoped it would be letting up by now since I've been looking forward to the swap for so long. I may have to send my plants to the meet with Robert.

Anyone have a good remedy for a common head cold? Y'know, runny nose, stuffy head, occasionally sneezing fits and generally feeling lousy. The cold pills I've been using aren't working very well at keeping my runny nose under control and it's driving me crazy. Nyquill is great, but it renders me unconscious so I can only take it at night. Of course I don't know that it actually clears my symptoms, but I'm not awake so I don't care. ;)

#75 ·
Thanks, I'll give 'em a try. I really jinxed myself last week, I said I'd been lucky and managed to avoid colds for years - figures, right? I should have kept my mouth shut.

The meds I had sitting around when I went looking in my cupboard had expired in 2006 and they don't make the ones I used anymore. It's totally futile to try and make a reasoned selection standing in the isle of a store when you feel rotten.

#76 ·
Big glass of hot Grand marnia followed by sleep.

I'm fighting to get over the same thing, still have a lingering cough.
Wouldn't bother me if you came with a cold.

You might try Vicks Dayquill, it seems to work for me and I'm not a Zombie when I take it.

#77 ·
I'd feel better about going if I could get my #)*& nose to stop dripping. I don't feel bad about being at work since nearly everyone here also have this bug. I've been sleeping as much as I can and did I started feeling more energetic yesterday. What did I do with the sudden energy? I trimmed a bunch more plants for the plant swap. ;)

I think Dayquill did make me drowsy. I know I've tried it before and something about it didn't work for me. It's been too long though I can't remember . . .

#79 ·
I just got over that same stuffy head/cold thing, I don't care if you come with a cold. I remember feeling like total crap when I had it, not fun at all! No one cares if you have to blow your nose a lot either, just part of being human. Hopefully you can make it, but don't stress if you can't! Hurry up and get well;)

#80 ·
So, just to let everyone know, the plants I am bringing are from a tank where a fish is showing signs of a protazoan parasite. This has been going on for weeks, I have medicated the tank repeatedly with both Ich Attack and Maracide, and still the one single fish has recurring spots, whereas the other 30+ fish are unaffected.

I seriously doubt that the parasite will be spread through the plants, but I will be clearly marking all my plants in case people want to quarantine, rinse, dip or otherwise treat my plants before introducing them to a tank with fish.

#81 ·
I hope somebody has a BIG tank, I just pulled up one of the swords from my signature tank below and it is beautiful, but it is also about 20" tall....

I'll also have a couple of stems of rotala, ludwiga repens, and 7 or 8 plantlets of the narrow leaf chainsword from my foreground.

I have to work in the morning, but will be off by 12:30 and according to google maps drivetime I should be there right on time!

See you all there!

#82 ·
Big thanks to all who came. It was a lot of fun meeting everyone and getting some cool plants. We actually had tons of plants!

To all those who didn't make it, you really missed out! Good pizza too! There seems to be enough interest to do this again, perhaps after the holidays in January.

#83 · (Edited)
I would also like to thank everyone for giving me a tank full of plants!! Very cool meeting all of you! Logan's Daddy, Jeremy, MedRed, you guys are cool as hell! Bpimm, Your welcome to come on my side of the river anytime (but only keep driftwood from your side)! Minsc, you just about started a riot with those erio minis! Catherine, I hope you get better soon, thank you for the frogbit!

I feel a little guilty though...I took a box of ugly plants/wood and came home with a box of gold! Hopefully see you guys again soon!

Thanks to Robert again for setting this up!

Chris aka 'That guy' :fear:

#85 ·
I feel a little guilty though...I took a box of ugly plants/wood and came home with a box of gold! Hopefully see you guys again soon!
Don't feel bad, everyone gave what they wanted, and everyone got some great plants in return!

I was serious about going out and searching for driftwood and plants with you, or anyone else interested in tromping through the mud... just name a time and place.

The event was a lot of fun, I'm still eating the pizza right now! Next time I'll try to bring enough erio minis and Tonina fluviatilis lotus flower for everyone to try it in their tank.

#84 ·
That was fun!

A big thanks to Robert for setting this up!
And another thanks to him and the folks at the Wet Spot for the awesome regulator, I almost felt guilty taking any plants after that kind of raffle prize, but there were plenty of plants to go around so I didn't feel too bad. :rolleyes:

It was great to put faces and real names to all of you and I really hope to get together again soon!

Thanks again to zerozax for the AWESOME driftwood, it's gonna look great.

You're all a bunch of real great guys (and gals) and I'm glad to have met all of you!

#89 ·
What a great time! There's something to be said when you can have such desirable plants and there's more than enough for everyone! I can only imagine what it'd have been like if we had another 10 people. I'm with you Minsc! Let's get something going! I'd love to get together once a quarter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.