Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
turtlehead said:
how many oto in a 10 gal tank?
The genral rule is one per every 10g gallons, some people use more, others use less. But in a 10g, I think one will be the maximum...one thing to remember is that they do better in groups of 3 or more. Maybe you could use shrimp instead?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree, it's best not to keep less than a group of 3 of them.

What else do you have beside the Cherry shrimp in the tank? If that's all you have in the tank, you could probably get by with a group of 3 in there providing you keep the water conditions pristine.
If you have other fish, I'd probably skip the Oto's. They can be sensitive to water conditions, so you certainly don't want to put them in a small overstocked tank.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i want to have a diversity

can you also be kind enough to answer this too? I don't want to start another topic. Thanks by the way. I think mine is still young but compared to the other otos I see, the black markings on mine is dull and I can barely see them, I'm sure this is an oto, POSITIVE. Will the markings be more pronounced as it ages?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
They may get darker as they get older, but you have to remember there are numerous species of the genus Otocinclus.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I personally don't recommend otos in a 10 gallon. They are very sensative to water conditions and have been known to die for no reason. Any swing in temp, PH, GH, can kill them. They are not healthy when they arrive at most lfs anyways. Best to let them stay there for 2 weeks and then buy. But assuming tank conditions are fine 3 is good. Just make sure you suppliment their diet as they can clean a 10 gallon tank in a matter of days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts