Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the solution for all my algae problems.

I bough 2 otos for a nano cube with some brown, brown fussy and green spot algae, in 3 days otos eats all algae easy. the green spot algae in cristal leaves a light circle mark that I think otos cant eat. After that i bough 4 otos for my 29g that have a black fussy algae, I dont think that it is beard algae because is diferent. the black fussy algae is over a driftwood (covers it all) and over substrate. The cristal have some of this algae and a brownish algae (like brown algae) but more dark brown. This is the 3 day and the otos still cleaning. The algae in the cristal dissapear. the substrate still have little algae and the driftwood now is in hand of otos, have a half with algae and half without it. The Java fern on driftwood is clean and green.

The otos do a excelent job, when you have algae problems buy a oto:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have three in my 25 tall and I never see them anymore except when I turn on the lights in the morning. Then they freak out and zip all over the place and go hide in the driftwood. I have a bit of green hair algae and quite a bit of algae on a small piece of driftwood that they aren't touching. It makes me wonder what they are eating. My Amano shrimp are top notch workers though. They are always eating.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have 8 in a fifty gal tank and at any given time I can always count at least five working on the leaves. Also got three in a 12 gallon and they always working. They seem to like the leaves that don't seem to have any older algea though and keep new leaves from getting any on them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
An other fish who does a wonderful job in a tank is the chinese algea eater (gyrinocheilus aymonieri).Once, my 65 gal tank was full of algea and within 3 days, with the help of 3 of theses fishes, every plants, rocks and driftwoods was perfectly clean.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Oto's do not like hair algae. But they are good for the diatoms and film algae.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have one in my 75g tank that got moved from a smaller tank. I never see him. I thought he died, but then after a tank cleaning there he was. It was 3 months with no sight of him lol. I wanna pick up some more soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One reason many of you aren't seeing them is because they prefer to be in groups of their own so if you have 1 or 2 or 3, probably less than 6, they are going to be skittish as hell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts