Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced that?

Do the otos stop trying to "eat" from the discus at some point or they need to be removed?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
45 Posts
You mean like this? They're sucking on the slime coat. It is potentially a bad thing, but my Ottos don't do it regularly. If they do do it regularly, then it would be a good idea to take the offending one out. Maybe they do it because they are hungry, I don't know. Feed them more food and veggies. Unless you mean they're stealing food from their mouths.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm sure some suckermouthed catfish and cyprinids acquire a taste for discus slime at one point or another. It's a delicacy, you know. :)

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it unless your discus start looking chewed up or stressed by this behavior. I suspect changing your algae-eating crew might help if it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had a pleco that started doing that. I removed him immediately. If I were you I would remove the offending ottos. The fishes slime coat is its first line of defense, and having it damaged could cause problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.