Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got 4 ottos today for my 20 gallon planted tank. I just wanted to know what kinds of things I should expect from them and how I can keep them happy. I only ask this because one LFS sold me CAE's and I didn't know how mean and territorial they were as they got older. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
These fish take care of themselves in a planted tank environment. I have 4 in a 20 gallon along with 30 or so shrimp and they live a peaceful, contented life. They find enough to eat without extra feeding.

Andrew Cribb

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
It is good you got four because they like company. I have heard of people having a hard time getting these guys accumilated, so they end up lossing a few, although I have never had this problem. Once they are establised they are hardy, peaceful and hard working. I have tried feeding mine algae wafers before but they ignore them.

Here is a site that will help... http://www.otocinclus.com/index.html

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
A lot of times, people have more trouble establishing them because they've bought specimens that have just come into the shop. All fish are stressed by the long journey to the place of purchase, but ottos take it a bit harder than most. Try to buy ones that have been in the store for a while. You'll get a much better survival rate that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cavan Allen said:
A lot of times, people have more trouble establishing them because they've bought specimens that have just come into the shop. All fish are stressed by the long journey to the place of purchase, but ottos take it a bit harder than most. Try to buy ones that have been in the store for a while. You'll get a much better survival rate that way.
I bought the last 4 that my good LFS had and he had them for about 2 and a half weeks. So I'm hoping I got some good healthy ones. They seem to be doing just fine but only time will tell. Also, thanks for the sites everyone. Very informative.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The two that I kept with my Dicrossus died on me, but I have 7-10 in my 75 that have been around forever. Maybe it was the soft water that did them in? They lived for at least 10 months in the tank, then dissapeared.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I've heard that part of their low survival rate is because they need to be sedated to catch them, and some never fully recover.

If they've eaten all of the algae in your tank, they really do like to have a zucchini, or seaweed select snack/supplement a few times per week.
They should have farily plump little bellies all the time.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
You can tell if they are not getting enough to eat because their bellies will be sunken in and you can see their ribs. Keep'em plump like Jan said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts