Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first attempt at aquascape.

Set up
29 Gal Eclipse 3 with Hood
Florite Black substrate
Fluval 404
100 watt heater (Planning on 79 degrees)

Planned additives
Flourish
Carbon Plus

ODNA to the Eclipse 3 hood
Start light at 10am till 3 two hour siesta end light at 10pm
Tank is near a window so I my plan is to let the natural light start on the tank then hit it with the bulbs.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/57720-eclipse-3-odna-light-upgrade.html

Inhabitants to come ( in another tank right now)
3 Balloon Mollies
1 Plecostomus
1 Harlequin Rasbora

Mondo Grass
Java Moss Fern
Pellia
something else I have not identified yet

Cycling the tank right now, its way high on ammonia..

Any advice?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have an Eclipse hood for my 10 gal. I really do not like the fact that all the light is in the front and makes the back quite shaded.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Very nice looking hardscape and terrain. Where did you get teh mondo-grass? It isn't a true aquatic plant and will eventually die. For a similar look, try Echinodorus tenellus if you want something short or Crypt. 'balansae' or a Vallisneria sp for something tall.

Have you thought about what other plants you'd like to try out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the grass from Pet-Co... I have been waiting for it to die its been taking awhile.. and some how I have two new sprouts popping up.. So I have been just leaving it in there until it all dies.

I want something tall and tree like for the background I like the Iwagumi style with only partial foreground coverage..

but I think I need more light too.. I have the ODNA on the hood but I am told that will only get me 51watts. So I picked up a light socket and clamp to put in a 60watt Spiral bulb, it won't be reflected correctly and will be mostly covered by the other light and the back of the Eclipse hood so I think in the end I will end up with a little over 2 watts per gallon. Which I hope will be good for medium light plants.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
2wpg is medium light depending on the bulbs. You should be ok. Take a look at the for sale forum for plants. You can't go wrong there and will get way more that what you'd buy from a store, even with the shipping. You can post a Want to buy (WTB).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts