Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I bought some red ludwigia about 2 and a half weeks ago and trimmed it once i got home (it was already too tall for my 20L tank). Today is about 2 and a half weeks later it has grown about another 10 inch tall. (Q#1 is fast growth normal with this plant). But thats not my issue really, the plant is growing, like all my other plants, sprouts instead of leaves. Rather than having a tall single stemmed plant with 4 leaves on either side reaching towards the top, I have a stem that is growing other stems (with roots at each joint {about 2 inch long roots at that). (Q#2 What may be causing this?)

I really don't think the plant is supposed to grow this way normally. I dose with flourish excell (Not regularly though, only when I see my plants needing it {which isn't a good system, I know}) and Im using an aqua-glo 8T 20W light. I have a Flora-glo light (again 8T 20W) and I understand that plants need both blue and red wavelength however I didn't care for the purple tint the light gave my aquarium.

I've pondered the thought that the aqua-glo simply gives off too much blue wavelength which changes/ed the way my plants were growing (As I have a curious banana plant that started off green but turned red/brownie/purpley when I switched lights {from my default light that came with my 20L hood})

I'm still very unsure though, I'm happy about the over growth but I would love to understand how to control it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

P.S. I have Jungle Valisnera, cryptocoryn (not sure which variation, the leaves are twisty, narrow and dark purple), crype lucens, Wisteria, Anubius (barteri I believe), lobelia cardinalis, java fern, java moss, 2 banana plants, and a melon sword (that doesn't do to well in that the leaves grow into middle size leaves and eventually turn to tan skeletons {Another concern of mine, i know swords can be finicky but only if the water parameters are not correct for their species, I'm wondering which parameters those are so I could possibly adjust})

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Howdy, I bought some red ludwigia about 2 and a half weeks ago and trimmed it once i got home (it was already too tall for my 20L tank). Today is about 2 and a half weeks later it has grown about another 10 inch tall. (Q#1 is fast growth normal with this plant). But thats not my issue really, the plant is growing, like all my other plants, sprouts instead of leaves. Rather than having a tall single stemmed plant with 4 leaves on either side reaching towards the top, I have a stem that is growing other stems (with roots at each joint {about 2 inch long roots at that). (Q#2 What may be causing this?)

I really don't think the plant is supposed to grow this way normally. I dose with flourish excell (Not regularly though, only when I see my plants needing it {which isn't a good system, I know}) and Im using an aqua-glo 8T 20W light. I have a Flora-glo light (again 8T 20W) and I understand that plants need both blue and red wavelength however I didn't care for the purple tint the light gave my aquarium.

I've pondered the thought that the aqua-glo simply gives off too much blue wavelength which changes/ed the way my plants were growing (As I have a curious banana plant that started off green but turned red/brownie/purpley when I switched lights {from my default light that came with my 20L hood})

I'm still very unsure though, I'm happy about the over growth but I would love to understand how to control it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

P.S. I have Jungle Valisnera, cryptocoryn (not sure which variation, the leaves are twisty, narrow and dark purple), crype lucens, Wisteria, Anubius (barteri I believe), lobelia cardinalis, java fern, java moss, 2 banana plants, and a melon sword (that doesn't do to well in that the leaves grow into middle size leaves and eventually turn to tan skeletons {Another concern of mine, i know swords can be finicky but only if the water parameters are not correct for their species, I'm wondering which parameters those are so I could possibly adjust})
Went to search for which type I have and found (not surprisingly) that there are many very different types of this plant...My plant is green on the upper side of its leaves and bright pink on the underside (very pretty) it probably should be red on the underside but my water may not be in the correct shape for my plants (trying to figure it all out. xD) I would also assume that I have a faster growing variety, as again, the plant is anchored in the middle of the tank but extends into the far back right corner (Of a 20 gallon Long tank)..with 15 different sprouts shooting off of it...help...lol. I have red ludwigia for days. And also, it was labeled 'red ludwigia' when I bought it. I got it from my workplace, so I don't doubt its quality one bit. I work at kinda a mom and pop exotic fish store, were local and pretty respectable (reputation wise, been around 30 years). To give anyone who is listening an idea of the specific plant I'm dealing with, since I don't actually have a scientific name to identify it by. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, earlier i said that all my plants were sprouting, the was a lie. my wisteria is the only other plant thats sprouting ridiculously, but its moreso sprouting roots at joints which is semi-normal for that plant. And my jungle val sprouts baby val's quite often (but in a trail like how val's do, not off of the leaf/stem), but again, I'm almost sure thats normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts