Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right now I've got 13 swordtails (about 1 1/2"), 6 corys (small), 2 hifin Bushynosed plecos (2 inch),
and 4 mollies about 2 inch in a 50 gallon tank. I'm fighting and winning the battle with BBA and got a chance to pick up 2 more Bushnosed and about 5 ottos I want to add. Planning on thinning out the swordtails as they grow, so do you think this is to big a load? I got plenty of water movement with an Eheim canister and a Aquaclear 70. I want the ottos to help with other kinds algae. Water tests no nitrites or ammonia.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I think you are NOT overstocked. :) That still doesn't quite add up to the "inch-per-galon" rule, AND you have a planted tank. When you have a densely planted aquarium, you can fudge quite a bit on that rule. When you're looking at your stocking, you'll have to look more at places-to-swim-without-bumping-into-to-each-other. (Just don't go out and get 50 more mollies.)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Your overall load isn't bad, but you are wise to ask since the Plec's do add a huge load to a tank. You'll be pushing it with 4 Bushy noses in the tank (the max I keep is 2 in my 55), but you may be able can get by with it with plenty of water changes. Another thing you'll need to watch for is fighting since the tank isn't real big and males get cocky.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up with 3. Will watch them, but so far they not bothering each other. The new one is a bit bigger, but not as active as the first two as they seem to go around in pairs. I may move the bigger one to another tank later. Anyone want to volunteer to catch him without messing up my plants? ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Following the old "1-inch per gallon" rule I am about 20 inches overstocked myself in my 72 gal, but that's counting about 6 sterbai corys, 4 adolphous corys, 3 emeralds, and 3 halbrosus, and frankly I think because of them and their "patrols" around my substrate barely any food goes to waste to create issues that normal overstocking would normally portend. That and I'm heavily filtered with two eheims, a 2026 and a 2028, and also heavily planted up. So a lot will depend on how planted you are, and how filtered you are. So far sounds like you're good. You did not mention whether you are CO2 or not to help us determine how your plant bioload might be helping keep that algae in check, nor about your fert regime.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Co2 yet. Just using Excel. Perhaps in about three months...maybe....wife....football season....funds...you understand...;);)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts