Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious why..at times my plants will get covered with air bubbles, and then there will be a few days where I get none??
This is a newer setup .. about a month old. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it??

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
OakRaid,

I think it's because the Seahawks are a better team than the Raiders. ;)

Actually, what's most likely happening is while your plants have enough nutrients available they are able to photosynthesize which causes the bubbles. A few days later they've run out of sufficient food and can't Ps anymore so the bubbles drop to next to nothing.

Are you adding CO2 or any Nitrogen, Phosphorus, or Potassium? Those four, particulalry CO2, N, and Phos, are essential for photosynthesis.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oxygen pearling

Phil Edwards said:
OakRaid,

I think it's because the Seahawks are a better team than the Raiders. ;)

Actually, what's most likely happening is while your plants have enough nutrients available they are able to photosynthesize which causes the bubbles. A few days later they've run out of sufficient food and can't Ps anymore so the bubbles drop to next to nothing.

Are you adding CO2 or any Nitrogen, Phosphorus, or Potassium? Those four, particulalry CO2, N, and Phos, are essential for photosynthesis.

Best,
Phil
Hi Phil .. First let me agree with you that last year most teams were better than the Raiders... But if you want to look at a little history, I would say very few teams are better. I think we will see a big differance this year, with the coaching changes. I have a lot of family up in WA, So can't say anything bad about the SeaChickens...;-)
Anyway... My tank is a 50 GL, 48L x 12D x 18H...Magnum canister, 48" 2x65 watt power compact, with a 48" 40watt kicker.
I am not running CO2, and havn't added anything except a little flourish.
The tank has been running about a month only. It is heavily planted, and testing shows ammonia, nitrite, nitrate...all 0.
I do have two Siamease Algae eaters in there, that are busy at the plants all day...could they be keeping the plants from pearling??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Macbrush said:
Did you just change water when you see bubbles on the plants?
Don't think that is it...As I can have the bubbles for like a week...and then, like now...nothing.
Maybe I need to add more fish for nutients?? Tank has 10 Neons, 2 SAE's, 1 yoyo loach (that I should have waited to buy, uprooting some of the smaller plants)

Dave

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dear Oakraid,

My plants don't pearl very often. I know when they are pearling when a steady stream of very fine bubbles emerges from the leaves of the plant. Many fine bubbles hundreds per minute, sort of like a machine gun. Then I really know the gas is coming from the plant. If the air bubbles you see are on the glass as well as the plants, then its probably like Mr. Iunknown says: water oversaturated with gas and its just releasing it.

This isn't a good picture but its the best I have.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

·
Registered
302 Posts
my tank only pearls at the end of the day....like 30 minutes before my light goes off..... in the morning though, the bubbles are gone and during the day it's gone too..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spituch said:
Dear Oakraid,

My plants don't pearl very often. I know when they are pearling when a steady stream of very fine bubbles emerges from the leaves of the plant. Many fine bubbles hundreds per minute, sort of like a machine gun. Then I really know the gas is coming from the plant. If the air bubbles you see are on the glass as well as the plants, then its probably like Mr. Iunknown says: water oversaturated with gas and its just releasing it.

This isn't a good picture but its the best I have.

Regards,
Steve Pituch
Was pretty much the same for me .. I guess would be the last 2 or 3 hours that the lights were on I would get pearling on all the leafs, and also some steady streams of bubbles off some plants.
I think I may have found the problem, or maybe just another unrelated problem?? :( Which I will post under PH problems...Hope you guys can give me some impute on this one!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts