Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polygonum hydropiperoides is a widespread amphibious Polygonum native to wide swaths of both North and South America. It is always found near - usually still - water and often partially submerged, a habit that sets it apart from most other North American Polygonums, even those also able to grow below water. Most easily obtained by collection in its native range, it is nonetheless kept by a small number of hobbyists and may therefore be obtained through trading.

Although it is not as flashy as some related species, it possesses a subtle beauty of its own. Capable of surviving and even growing vigorously in lower light conditions, P. hydropiperoides looks far better under conditions of high light and nutrients, under which its leaves are waviest and the most vivid. Unlike several other American species, it is not overly leggy. In any circumstance, it maintains a rigid upright growth posture that makes it an easy species to utilize. Suitable for both the background and mid ground, it looks best in the latter location as a strong and closely-spaced grouping. While not an exceptionally large plant, this Polygonum is not small and requires some room; a thirty gallon or larger aquarium is recommended.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions as to what plants it looks good with? Bryce? I may think of some of the things I've kept it with later.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
It fills a very unique niche when it comes to color and texture. In my tank I have it behind some T. sp. 'Belem' and H. micranthemoides and in front of some A. reinekii. I've toyed with the idea of putting it next to some 'Sao Paulo'. The similarity in structure but complete color difference might be visually interesting.

·
Administrator
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ha! I've thought of that too but never done it. Great minds think alike! :p

I've added to it and fixed it up. The last sentence of the first paragraph was a mess and it wasn't organized quite as well it as should have been.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Polygonum hydropiperoides is a widespread amphibious Polygonum native to wide swaths of both North and South America. It is always found near - usually still - water and often partially submerged, a habit that sets it apart from most other North American Polygonums, even those also able to grow below water. Its distinctive upright inflorescence and tiny white flowers also make it relatively easy to identify. Most easily obtained by collection in its native range, it is nonetheless kept and traded by a small number of hobbyists there and elsewhere and may therefore be obtained that way.

Although it is not as flashy as some related species, it possesses a subtle beauty of its own. Capable of surviving and even growing vigorously in lower light conditions, P. hydropiperoides looks far better under conditions of high light and nutrients, under which its leaves are waviest and the most vivid. Unlike several other American species, it is not overly leggy. In any circumstance, it maintains a rigid upright growth posture that makes it an easy species to utilize. While not an exceptionally large plant, this Polygonum is not small and requires some room; a thirty gallon or larger aquarium is recommended.

Suitable for both the background and mid ground, it arguably looks best in the latter location as a strong and closely-spaced grouping. P. hydropiperoides looks fantastic as both a foil to red plants and as a textural element in a lush, all-green aquascape. A particularly interesting display might include both it and the related Polygonum sp. 'Sao Paulo', which, while quite similar in structure and growth habit, features a radically different magenta coloration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts