Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a discussion going here a couple weeks ago about my aggressive new trifasciata pencilfish. Some suggested the quarantine tank was too small. I took Jan's advice & waited it out - that's what quarantine tanks are for, after all. Well- I'm glad I didn't put them in the main tank....now there are only 2 of the original 7 left. Musta been a bad batch!!!

I had bought 3 harrisoni a few months ago and these are just fine....they had been q'd for a month before passing the test and moving to the big tank, where they are living happily ever after.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Well, that's too bad you had such a poor success rate with this batch. I guess it happens to everyone now and then, but it still doesn't make it any fun.
Thank goodness for q-tanks, huh? :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
ya know vancat, i have the same type of pencils, and they do nip quite a lot. i had platys in with them, and they would nip at them too. there is a bit of aggression. they are in a 30g with 2 m. altospinosas, 3 c. juliis, and c. aeneus.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nannostomus trifasciatus are by far the most aggressive and nippy species of pencilfish. I am not surprised they outright killed each other in the confines of such a small tank.

I have kept beckfordi, eques, and espei. N. beckfordi are by far the largest and most robust. N. eques are smaller and daintier and tend to stay together, unlike beckfordi. My N. espei so far have schooled very tightly even though there are only badis badis and otos in the same tank (they live in a 10g). No sign of aggression with these at all -- they must be the most docile by far. Pencilfish are great.

Carlos

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah. i agree. they are very aggressive. started with 7, and went to 5. but they are very hardy. they made the move from nc to tx. and the males are beautiful when they display, which seems to be all the time.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i had no idea! i certainly hope they didn't kill each other...but a small q tank is all i got.

There's only 2 left- I guess if they die or not will shed some light on the subject...!

guess i should have read up more on these fish. But I do like the harrisoni and when I saw these I grabbed 'em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts